Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5150 Shorted cap on the 12v Rail.

Blog Entries

Default 5150 Shorted cap on the 12v Rail.

My 5150 started acting up, and it ended up being a shorted 12v cap. I've clipped it and was wondering if when I replace it, should I just shotgun the entire board.

16-64k board, so can I replace all the caps with 10uf 16v?

Thanks,
    later,
    dabone

I would just replace the one that shorted, Chances are the rest will be fine.

Blog Entries

Nah, I'm going to replace most of them while I have it out. The current one that failed worked fine for me for 20 or 30 hours of use and then failed, so the other ones will follow.

Later,
    dabone

Quote Originally Posted by dabone View Post
    The current one that failed worked fine for me for 20 or 30 hours of use and then failed, so the other ones will follow.
    Not only can't you say that with certainty but I don't think there is any way to predict what you have just stated.

FWIW, I replaced that 12V tant five years ago on my 5160 and none of the others have followed suit in the ensuing five years.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Not only can't you say that with certainty but I don't think there is any way to predict what you have just stated.
    Agree totally. I've replaced lots of caps on the same voltage line without replacing any of the others. 5+ years on a lot of things without any problems. Unless there's a known bad batch of them, then it's just wasted $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by T-R-A View Post
    ... it's just wasted $$$.
    ... and time -- which is even more $$$.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

That only works if you can sell your free time.

Blog Entries

On the last 2 compaq portables I've worked on I had multiple failures on these tantalums. Motherboard and video card, plus floppy controller.

Looking at minuszerodegrees we see that the caps are one of the most common failure points. And considering I can get 50 of them for $13 I don't really see a large expense.

Are you recommending not replacing because of risk to the board? Or just couldn't be bothered to replace the other ones until they short?

Later,
    dabone

I'm a firm believer in... 'If it ain't broke; don't fix it.'

I'm sure if you continue to fix things that don't need fixin' you'll soon figure it out.

I would check the voltage rating on the caps and make sure that they are 12V. I've had a few motherboards stuff 5V caps in a 12V rail at manufacturing. They obviously fail more often, and should be replaced.

However, I have to agree with others on this thread. Typically when a tantalum shorts, it is a defect in that specific capacitor. The others will still have a long lifetime. The only time I wholesale replaced all tantalum caps on a board is when I found the out of spec caps noted above.

Chris V.