Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5150 Shorted cap on the 12v Rail.

+1 on don't replace the non-exploded tantalums

you could make an argument for shotgun replacement of electrolytics because the electrolyte can dry out and/or leak (I still don't do that either) but tantalums either explode randomly or work forever

The only time I ("summarise"?) replace condensers without specifically testing them is when there are a large number of large electrolytics in something that I already know has multiple bad ones.

I'm listening to the Pack make that Minnsota team look silly right now on a 72 year old receiver with all original parts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    +1 on don't replace the non-exploded tantalums

you could make an argument for shotgun replacement of electrolytics because the electrolyte can dry out and/or leak (I still don't do that either) but tantalums either explode randomly or work forever
    I 90% agree, but I have had a few machines that have had to have multiple removals.

One was my 5160 640K, originally had to remove a couple on the motherboard, then about two years later had one go bad on the serial board, then a few months later one on the CGA card went. It's been fine since. All on the +12 or -12V lines. I only remove/replace on failure though.

Then I have a 1982 5150 model A that's still 100% untouched and runs fine.

Seems to vary a lot.
    WTB: IBM RT Parts and Accessories, and AOS.
    Twitter / Discord / YouTube / Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    you could make an argument for shotgun replacement of electrolytics because the electrolyte can dry out and/or leak
    This I definately agree with. I do this and found many times a cap which looked perfectly normal but after removing them discovered they had started leaking underneath or dried out to the point where one of the legs came completely off with very little force.
    AtariPC.net
    Atari PC | IBM Compatible Series

Tantalum capacitors don't have a wet electrolyte, they can't leak, they just explode randomly.

I'd recommend against shotgun replacing them as well, if they're not bad, leave them alone. I used to be of that mindset, but after one too many botched mass replacement sessions, I've decided to leave stuff alone that isn't going to cause damage if left alone if it still works.

If OP does decide to do it anyway, I'd recommend that you only do a few at a time and test the board between batches. This way if you got something wrong and the board doesn't power up, you have a smaller area of the board to troubleshoot.

Blog Entries

When I get back to it, I guess I'm only going to replace 3, The bad one was the 3rd one I cut a lead on.

Later,
    dabone