Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: old-style I/O shield with the slot cover tabs not broken off

Default Wanted: old-style I/O shield with the slot cover tabs not broken off

The Design:

https://ibb.co/HpCb9WD

I/O shields with only a few ports and breakable tabs like this are rare and found mainly with vintage 90's motherboards or new-in-box beige ATX cases.

See those tab covers on the gameport and audio ports on this sample picture? I want one with the hole placement looking like this but has tab covers on all ports so I can peel them off for myself. I have a motherboard that I want to have a cleaner look by covering up the ports I won't use. At the very least I need the parallel port covered up on the I/O shield.

I only need the following exposed, based this I/O shield design in the above photo:

Two PS/2 ports

Two USB ports

Two serial ports

This is what I want my I/O shield to look like, based on this description:

https://ibb.co/2Pd23vf

It does not have to be the breakable tab design, as long as it is an I/O shield that only allows the ones I want in the list. Needs to be metal too.

Thanks guys.

Blog Entries

At least one model of HP used a gray vinyl overlay to cover the punched-out holes. But I'll have a look at my collection.

Something like this might be the best you can hope for because almost everything from that era had a dang Parallel Port poking out the back that required the port to be opened.

DSCF2940A.jpg

Blog Entries

That's the problem--almost any vintage I/O shield will have a parallel port cutout on it. I think I've got one without, but it's in use currently. I've got one with punchout tabs, but it's not for the usual outline--it attaches with screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Syclops View Post
    Something like this might be the best you can hope for because almost everything from that era had a dang Parallel Port poking out the back that required the port to be opened.

DSCF2940A.jpg
    YOU ARE A GENIUS!!! Why didn't I think of that, I simply plug the LPT port...

I have some of those covers myself. Please, please take a picture of the other side so I may replicate your design. Syclops, thank you so much! I'm so glad I asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I think I've got one without, but it's in use currently.
    May I see a picture for reference please when you have a moment Chuck? Just the back of the PC will do...

There isn't really anything to it, but you have to use 2 of those covers and run the screws through both of them to hold it in place.

I have a 286 case that has one serial and one parallel port hole covered with just an internal cover and an outside screw to secure it and another, a black case, that has three parallel holes and two serial holes with all the covers still in place.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    May I see a picture for reference please when you have a moment Chuck? Just the back of the PC will do...
    The I/O shield isn't installed; I'll have to dig it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I have a 286 case that has one serial and one parallel port hole covered with just an internal cover and an outside screw to secure it and another, a black case, that has three parallel holes and two serial holes with all the covers still in place.
    I should have said two outside screws as there are two of them in the normal end notches of each port cover.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step