Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever feel like 5 slots just isn't enough?

Default Ever feel like 5 slots just isn't enough?

I sure did, built this lo-tech EMS card and didn't even have a slot in my 5150 to shove it in. Just so happens my clone FDC had one of those semi-common but apparently useless 62-pin footprints for a pin header right about the edge connector. Let's put it to use!

Drew up a super quick adapter PCB and grabbed a 62-pin card slot and right angled pin header from digikey, and I present to you: a 6 slot 5150.

20190906_123409.jpg20190906_123419.jpg20190906_123429.jpg20190906_133203.jpg

Sorcery.

Blog Entries

Witchcraft.
    = Excellent space heater

Nice! Works well with those extra-wide slots on a 5150, too! I definitely run out of slots in the 5150, part of the reason I don't usually have one set up and running. Memory expansion, floppy controller, disk controller, video card...then one slot left for usually a serial/parallel combo board. If you want a NIC you have to pull one or use a Xircom or SLIP/PLIP.

You could certainly see why stuff like the SixPak Premium (memory expansion, EMS, clock/calendar, serial, parallel, game) and Dallas SmartWatch modules were popular!

Simple, yet amazing! Good job.

What about a riser card for those shorter cards that don't have external ports?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    What about a riser card for those shorter cards that don't have external ports?
    that would be cool, but out of the 2 cards I have with no external ports, only the lo-tech EMS would have been short enough to clear the HDDs

I was already pushing the limits of physical space with my WD1002S-WX2 and the rear slot bracket for my parallel and game port sharing slot 5

(risers are starting to become hard to find too, and expensive)

It's amusing how close those pins are to a Tandy Plus Bus header.

Back in the day was someone actually selling machines that used those holes to run a stack of ISA cards vertically? (IE, fitting each card with solder-tail-type female connectors so they could be plugged into a pile?) I do vaguely remember seeing those hole patterns on a few cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    I do vaguely remember seeing those hole patterns on a few cards.
    I remember seeing them as well but honestly never put any thought into what they were or how they can be used. Its pretty smart thinking.

Good thinking, I've seen those hole patterns too on other cards but never put any thought into them other than maybe test points, I probably have some cards stashed away with the same.