Image Map Image Map

Thread: IBM 4696 "SurePOS" Register

Blog Entries

Default IBM 4696 "SurePOS" Register

I'm not even sure where to put a thread for something this wacky.

I got my hands on an IBM 4964 which is a fancy name for a PC running as a cash register. Inside the box there's a 233mhz Pentium 1, 32mb ram, a Cirrus Logic VGA chipset, two ISA slots, one shared PCI slot, ethernet, IBM's weird cash register I/O channels, a floppy drive and space for one hard drive. For peripherals I got the IBM printer, keypad and an external scale/barcode scanner but missed out on the LED column display and the monitor.

Anyways, this machine was configured for SurePOS, which was IBM's retail control system and this the machine netbooted as such. I'm not in the market to setup a SurePOS server nor do I have the money to do so but what else am I even able to do with the machine? Was there ever a standalone version of IBM's tills or was that a third party product? I don't have much in the collection for Retail/POS hardware so this is a keeper for sure as it POSTs and the BIOS is not password protected. Now I gotta find those two missing pieces.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

Here's some photos and a bit of progress. Again, note the hole where the monitor should be sitting.

If you plug in a monitor and power it up it will POST, then try and fail to RPL

Now this is where things get fun. I went back to where I got the machine and asked around and found out that there was another IBM cash register CPU. It was somewhat newer but had an integrated UPS, a secondary video card and two hard disks but absolutely nothing else which struck me as odd. It's a 4800-742.

Upon booting it however it became clear I was onto something. It IPL's to 6490 V6R2 (plus a shot the logo of the store it came from, so I've omitted that). On the first try it errored out on an ethernet issue, so I hung an airgapped router between it and the register and this time it went further, then stopped and hung at what seems to be a cryptic U007 error code.

However it seems to of loaded far enough in that netbooting now works. Bringing the register up starts the RPL, then it too hangs on U007.

= Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

Interesting. Perhaps there is logs on the server ("store controller") that can tell you more?
    Torfinn

That's pretty badass. Always liked the IBM POS machines. Some of the stainless-steel-cased Panasonic ones are pretty neat too. I had a newer Fujitsu POS for a while, but I didn't end up keeping it, as it was beat-to- hell and taking up too much space.

Would love to get one of these older IBM ones someday.
    Compaq - “It simply works better”