Image Map Image Map

Thread: 6801 assembler question

Default 6801 assembler question

I'm trying to understand the 6801 assembler source code below from an old 8-bit computer. The code is supposed to read 8 bits from a Manchester encoded data stream and build the decoded byte in the A register.

I understand the 6801 has an 8-bit A and B register and a 16-bit D register which is a combination of A and B.

I can't seem to find a lot of documentation on assembler for the 6801 so I'm not clear on what the <opcode> <operand>,D command does. eg. EORB LAST_SEEN,D

In the code below STATUS is the incoming bit.

Any insight would be helpful, thanks.

Code:
    SYN		EQU 016H
    STATUS		EQU 007H	;port 4 data
    BITCOUNT	RMB 1
    MOTION_BIT	RMB 1
    LAST_SEEN	RMB 1

LDAA #8
    	STAA BITCOUNT,D
    	CLRA		;SET TO NON-SYNC
    RS_SYNC
    	LDAB STATUS	;3 GET INITIAL INPUT STATE
    RS_CLQCK1
    	CMPB STATUS	;3 COMPARE TO CURRENT STATE
    	BEQ RS_CLOCK1	;3 LOOP UNTIL WE SEE CLOCK EDGE OR MOTION CHANGE
    ;MAKE SURE WE SPEND AT LEAST 42 uSEC BEFORE WE GO BACK TO RS_SYNC AGAIN

EORB LAST_SEEN,D	;3 6 GRAB THE PREVIOUS DATA BIT
    	LSLD			        ;3 9 STORE IT AWAY
    	LDAB STATUS		;3 12 DID WE STALL?
    	STAB LAST_SEEN,D
    	BITB MOTION_BIT,D
    	BEQ RS_STALLED		;3 21 IF SO, SIGNAL ERROR
    	NOP			;2 23 WE CAN'T LEAVE LOOP UNTIL AT LEAST
    	NOP			;2 25 42 uSEC HAVE GONE BY
    	NOP			;2 27
    	NOP			;2 29
    	NOP			;2 31
    	NOP			;2 33
    	NOP			;2 35
    	NOP			;2 37
    	BRN $			;3 40
    	CMPA #SYN
    	BNE RS_SYNC
    	RTS

Blog Entries

Whilst there are plenty of chip manuals around with details of the internals, e.g.

http://www.bitsavers.org/components/...nual_May84.pdf

I suspect you don't fine a lot on programming the 6801 because its really a 6800 with on chip IO and extra instructions to allow AB ro be used as a 16-but register so mostly normal 6800 manuals are ok...
    There were a number of different 68xx assemblers and I suspect in this case ",D" forces short addressing so expects LAST_SEEN to be in the first 256 bytes of memory.
    The standard Motorola assembler mentioned in the reference manual does not have the option to force direct addressing so I can't be sure..
    ... but on the other hand the programmer expects the "EORB LAST_SEEN,D" to take three clock cycles, and only the "direct" form of that instruction takes three clock cycles. (page 4-8 or 99 in the above manual...
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Thanks Dave! That was helpful. Good idea looking at the number of cycles to determine the type of addressing.

The Tandy MC10 is 6801/3 so that is one place and group to look for 6801 information. The 6801 is actually way better than the 6800 because it fixed a whole bunch of 'doh should have had an instruction for that' cases. As well as the 16bit maths you can for example push and pop the index register, and add b to x (which is really useful for compilers).

The 6801/3 manual lists the extra instructions specifically and then there are a few more in the even nicer HD6303 series processors.

There is a Leventhal book on the 6800 like every other period processor in the universe

Alan

I have 2 MC10s and discovered that I like the 6801/6803 assembly language. Not too far off the 6809 (my favorite processor). I have HUMBUG for the CoCo and the MC10 but the MC10 code is actual just 6800 code with a few changes. Probably based on HUMBUG for the SWTPC 6800 boards.