Image Map Image Map

Thread: Capacitators burn when I turn on my 5170

Default Capacitators burn when I turn on my 5170

Capacitors burn when I turn on my 5170
    Ive got a IBM 5170, when I turn on the power, first a capacitor burned out on the HDD/FDD controller. I removed the card, turned on the PC again, than a capacitor burned on the IO card.

Does this mean the power supply is bad, or are they just old/bad capacitors?

Check the output voltages from the PSU and then check the motherboard's power rails for shorts.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Check the output voltages from the PSU and then check the motherboard's power rails for shorts.
    Will try that, thnx

It's probably not a bad idea to check the PSU, but tantalum capacitors short when they fail, and when they short, they burn (or explode). This sounds pretty normal to me, except that a lot of the time in the 5170, overcurrent protection causes the PSU to shut down before any failed tantalum capacitors burn and the symptom is just one of no apparent life (or a momentary flicker of life).

You may want to check for excessive ripple current on your DC supply lines. Excessive ripple can cause overheating and failure in capacitors.

https://passive-components.eu/ripple...of-capacitors/

If that IBM 5170 was recently acquired by you, and, had not been powered on in years (or was only powered briefly), then based on my experience, I do not consider your experience (multiple tantalum caps failing within a short period of time) to be unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    If that IBM 5170 was recently acquired by you, and, had not been powered on in years (or was only powered briefly), then based on my experience, I do not consider your experience (multiple tantalum caps failing within a short period of time) to be unexpected.
    I have a Compaq Portable that had a tantalum explode in the power supply. Replaced that and found a shorted tantalum on the MoBo close to the power supply connector. Fixed that and had another tantalum catch fire on the video board. Replaced that and it works fine.