Image Map Image Map

Thread: Gateway 2000 4DX2-66E No Video, No Beeps

Unhappy Gateway 2000 4DX2-66E No Video, No Beeps

Hello all, I just acquired a 4DX2-66E tower. It is very clean, and unmolested except the video card was missing. Nearly al other components (drives, expansion cards) appear to be factory. I put a known good ISA video card in it, and powered it up. NO VIDEO. NO POST BEEPS. I should mention, this is an Anigma AN486 EISA motherboard if that makes a difference. I also tried removing all expansion cards except the video card. I also tried the video card in a different slot. No luck. Ideas?

Blog Entries

Are you sure the power supply works? Otherwise, reseat the memory and drop to a single full bank. If all the slots in a bank don't have properly installed memory, the machine will not do anything.

All slots populated. Did not check PS voltages, but I can check now. CMOS battery is dead, external type. Will remedy that later...unless that would prevent boot? Never seen that before though.

PS checks good, tried one bank of ram, tried no ram. Nothing. Why doesn't it beep with an error? Bad processor?

Blog Entries

I think that the machine will show an error if the CMOS is dead but there will be a visible response. A memory stick not in its slot correctly will cause the system to not show anything. I have one and ran into that problem.

The Anigma web page does not show up anymore and I don't have the old address to check the Internet Archive.

At this point I can only think that it is a processor or motherboard failure. I took the video card and put it back in the other 486 machine I have, and it is still working.