Image Map Image Map

Thread: IBM PS/1 Monitor Showing Triple Image on Screen

Default IBM PS/1 Monitor Showing Triple Image on Screen

See attached photo. Does anyone know what failure mode causes this strange issue on a CRT? Does it just need a recap? I thought maybe the wire under the suction cup had come disconnected, but I messed with it and nothing changed. Thanks for any advice!
    DSC_1130.jpg

Blog Entries

You have no vertical hold. Either the pot needs to be fiddled with or something in the vertical circuit has failed.
    = Excellent space heater

If you can count the lines from the first "11" to the brighest ones that are lower on the display, it appears it might
    be around 16 lines (using paper to mark the lines on your photo). If it is 16 then 2^x power equals the number of lines.
    If it's 16 lines the number for x is 4. So, have a look at A4 address line, as it appears it could be causing the problem
    of the duplicated lines.

Larry

Thanks for the advice! So I came back from work today and realised that I had accidentally left the computer on overnight. To my surprise, the screen had righted itself overnight. I assume this might only be temporary, but hopefully it stays good for a while. Wonder if the pot for the vertical hold might be failing but not completely off yet.

Update: By the next day the screen was screwed up again. So I turned the vertical hold pot just a tiny bit and it fixed everything! Thanks very much for the help!!

Might consider getting some deoxit gold and spraying the pots, sounds like they're getting oxidized and crusty.

Do it with the monitor powered off of course and give it a couple of hours to dry.

Quote Originally Posted by twillkickers View Post
    Update: By the next day the screen was screwed up again. So I turned the vertical hold pot just a tiny bit and it fixed everything! Thanks very much for the help!!
    Sounds like the pot needs some Deoxit. Until then, you may have more vertical-hold issues....