Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: W-OT: anyone have a Sherline.or Unimat.3/4 lathe

I need whatever it takes to make backplates and faceplates for the new lathe and at least one other. Clearly metal would be ideal. Getting set up to cut involute gears is yet another expense and headache. We'll see what happens.

It would be far easier and cheaper to mill gears than injection mold them, unless for some reason you need a large quantity of them. Of course, having someone 3D print them might just be the cheapest. Now if you know someone with an articulated-head waterjet...

And what would that cost? The prospect of selling replacement gearsets to oh maybe the 30 others owner's of 8" SB's is quite attractive though.

You know there is a poor man's version of 3d printing.

For 30 I'd still machine (or 3D print) them. For 1000, I'd cast/mold them.

If you can get me drawings of all the gears you need, and what material and thickness, I could get a quote for waterjet cutting them. (They would be as good or better than milled parts.) But you might be better off getting a quote from a waterjet house in your area.

Probably. But what would be.the cost for 1 gear say, ballpark? I guess I could just try and google. It never occurred to me to have gears cut that way.

Part of my collection of crappola:

IMG_20190913_022107.jpg

And my Machinex 5. Actually NOS despite the.appearance (rust on tailstock ram provided at no extra charge, and I broke the t/s crank):

IMG_20190913_022213.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    Probably. But what would be.the cost for 1 gear say, ballpark? I guess I could just try and google. It never occurred to me to have gears cut that way.
    Significantly different than cutting many out of a sheet. Cutting one takes more setup. Might be around $200-300 if you supply the material, " cast iron, say. I'd have to get a real quote for more than that. But multiples should be considerably cheaper per part.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    Part of my collection of crappola:
    IMG_20190913_022107.jpg
    Rocker toolposts.... why are they so beloved on american lathes?
    Give me a proper quick change toolpost ANY day.

Popular in 1932. These were popular into the 80s on Austrian lathes:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/tlm/

I'll take a lantern toolpost over.one of those, but yes a quick change is preferred and most people use them.

I don't know why, but most manual engine lathes I've run had rocker posts.

Clausing, mostly.

I made my own Sherline clones for the same reason that someone who can afford the time would want to make their own changegears.

KIMG0945.jpg