Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fans on my modern PC keep acting up (making a horrible noise)

Blog Entries

Everyone's talking about fixing the fans, but I keep coming back to this:

Quote Originally Posted by retro-pc_user View Post
    1) CPU heatsink fan
    2) Dual GPU heatsink fans
    3) PSU fan
    4) 3x 80mm case fans
    That's a lot of fans. They shouldn't all be going to the point where they're noisy, unless you run the system full bore all the time. Do you have them set to only turn on past a certain temperature, or set to be on all the time?

Bearings can be so loud that it can seem a lot of them are noisy when only one of them is...
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Lol reead the post. He tells us all the fans he has, but only the case fans are making noise. And were recently lubed. Just replace them.

Blog Entries

My mistake. I agree, just replace the fans, they're about the same cost as the lubricant to fix them.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

It seems we've all fallen prey to a psychological experiment. One and all just happily rambled on concerning topics unrelated to the actual question.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    My mistake. I agree, just replace the fans, they're about the same cost as the lubricant to fix them.
    You get what you pay for. But really I can't picture fans cheap as a small amount of grease.

I'd buy fans with ball bearings. Plain bearings are good for some things, but axial fans aren't one of them, in my opinion.

A whole science within itself. There are some industrial applications where only babbitt will do.

Old ball bearings fans are noisy though. Those used in servers at least. High velocity.t

Babbitt is still good for run-out bearings ( ) and of course ICEs.

Imagine packing a computer case with Babbittrite and pouring bearings

By the time ball bearings in a computer fan get noisy, plain bearing equivalents would have already burnt up. But the only thing worse than fan bearings in an old server is SCSI Seagates.

Blog Entries

Old cheap cases have cheap 80mm fans so replace them.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    You get what you pay for. But really I can't picture fans cheap as a small amount of grease.

I'd buy fans with ball bearings. Plain bearings are good for some things, but axial fans aren't one of them, in my opinion.
    A lot of the cheap Chinese fans are advertised as "ball bearing". What they turn out to be is a single ball acting as a thrust bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    A lot of the cheap Chinese fans are advertised as "ball bearing". What they turn out to be is a single ball acting as a thrust bearing.
    Ouch. That's a bad recipe.

I generally do whatever I can to avoid cheap Chinese products.