Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fans on my modern PC keep acting up (making a horrible noise)

The two case fans of the three are working properly and the GPU fans, as well as the CPU fans are 100% functional. I currently have 1 case fan blowing onto the hard drives and the other one blowing out air from the bottom, which will be switched around once I repair the other fan and get new ones to be safe than sorry.
    Current retro systems:
    2x Commodore 64 Breadbin 250407 Rev. B and C
    Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus, aka, the Ultimate Sound Card machine
    iMac G3/600 Graphite, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger, Lubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
    iMac G4/800 Lampshade, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
    YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroPCUser

Blog Entries

Heat rises so all the case fans bowing out should be higher and to the rear or top with case fans blowing in should be lower and in front. You also have the fan in the PS to worry about.

About the only good thing I can say about OEMs like DELL is they have a coherent air flow path in their cases. About the best thing on new gamer cases are the large fans blowing in the front and out the back and top while keeping the PS in the bottom of the case with a direct air flow from the outside (bottom). Was never a good idea to have all heat from inside the case going out through the PS in old towers or worse having the PS fan fight for airflow because other case fans were causing pressure problems.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Some HP desktops employed plastic ducting, which I thought was a good idea, though suitable only for a specific motherboard.

Blog Entries

Systems like that didn't have a fan on the CPU heatsinks they just used a huge fan to blow air over the heatsink with duct work and then out of the case.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

My p4 HP dc6800 has some kind of heat pipe hs with a fan blowing sideways. With ducting. I have to look at it again and take photos. It really is well made, belonging to HPs business side of the bidness. I have to get rid of it though, currently on ebay. No good reason to hang on to it.

Blog Entries

Same here with my Vectra PII--CPU fan with ducting (I keep it for the ISA slots). The PSU has its own internal fan.

The third case fan is now working correctly (cleaned it and added some lithium grease to the bearing shaft and it's blowing air in and will switch around to out and the other 2 I'm planning on buying in the future will blow out air and will purchase others in case the 3 that have been in the case for ages start to go out.
    Current retro systems:
    2x Commodore 64 Breadbin 250407 Rev. B and C
    Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus, aka, the Ultimate Sound Card machine
    iMac G3/600 Graphite, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger, Lubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
    iMac G4/800 Lampshade, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
    YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroPCUser

Blog Entries

I wonder why the high-power high-heat computer cases don't use centrifugal fans or AC-powered axial fans. Would seem to provide more airflow than a bunch of cheap DC axial fans.

I recall that older electronics gear used centrifugal units.

AC powered fans (except inside power supplies) would necessitate better electrical protection. They would also negate the line voltage switching ability.

I have a few Dell cases that use squirrel-cage blowers.