Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just how good was the Windows 95 OSR 2.x USB Supplement?

Blog Entries

As I seem to recall, the DOS/Panasonic doesn't allow for "hot plug" of USB memory devices. That is, if you want to change the USB device, you have to reboot.

Win98SE does understand the Windows Minidriver concept, which is primarily why I don't bother with any flavor of Win95.

How's the support on WinME?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    As I seem to recall, the DOS/Panasonic doesn't allow for "hot plug" of USB memory devices. That is, if you want to change the USB device, you have to reboot.
    If loaded vis config.sys, yes, you are quite correct.

But if loaded via loadsys.exe you can change USB drives at will:

https://www.hiren.info/downloads/dos-files

I use this regularly, as well. This eliminates the need to reboot as it's an on-the-fly device driver utility. I kinda like them and I use a stand alone XMS/EMS RAM disk that is installable and resizable from command line without needing to use loadsys.exe.

With loadsys.exe you can load/unload virtually any device driver or TSR at will without a reboot being necessary.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Does this interfere with the GUI on Win9x? Does it support USB drives in excess of 8GB?

Does it support USB drives in excess of 8GB?
    I am able to use 8 GB and 16 GB drives with it.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

I'll give it a try--thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I use USB flash drives on my DOS tweener regularly using the Panasonic support mentioned by krebizfan.
    Yep me too, works very well, The panasonic drivers are not so good with UHCI, But the Iomega drivers work fine with UHCI but use more memory.

I'll give it a try--thanks!
    While you're at it, i.e., experimenting , let us know what other drivers and TSRs you were successful or unsuccessful with. I've only tried loadsys.exe with those USB drivers.

Blog Entries

I assume that loadsys doesn't have problems with drivers loaded high.

Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    Yep me too, works very well, The panasonic drivers are not so good with UHCI, But the Iomega drivers work fine with UHCI but use more memory.
    I am able to load di1000dd.sys high on my tweener.

I assume that loadsys doesn't have problems with drivers loaded high.
    You know, I haven't yet tried that so I'll be waiting with bated breath to see what you discover. Since it's unloadable it didn't seem too relevant to me. It gives the entire 14k back when unloaded.