Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Just how good was the Windows 95 OSR 2.x USB Supplement?

Quote Originally Posted by Robbbert View Post
    I have a win98SE to run dos games such as Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein-3D and similar.

Apart from DOS-based games and utilities, I feel there's not really a compelling reason to use win9x much now.
    Duh... why run DOS games from Windows?

Whenever I want to run 'dos games such as Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein-3D and similar' I do so from DOS.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    I dunno about that, I installed Win95C on a K6-2 system I once had, and I never installed any USB patch, only the AMD K6 patch. Best to my observation, the system worked well but I never tried USB.
    You’re right. I guess you don’t have to install that usb patch first, but if you install the amdk6upd and then decide later to install the usb update, it might in some cases downgrade, without prompting, some of the windows files that were fixed with the amdk6upd. I guess that’s why I was incorrectly remember that it was required. I guess it’s just a good idea to install it first.

To the OP, The optiplex GX1 is a great machine. I remember them when they were in service and I have two still. Picked up my second one within the past 5 or 6 years from a hospital that was using it as a controller for a medical device. I am not a fan of Dell, but I give credit where credit is due. This machine is a beast. And the BX chipset will run either PII or PIII at 66MHz bus. I have an adapter so I can run the PIII 1.1Ghz cpu in it.

I had initially wanted 95 with usb but I had a hell of a time with drivers and compatibility so I run win98 on it.

I like to have my retro systems to be both useful and fun, but that's just me. I want to live back in time. So I do haphazard things like trying to modernize these systems to compete with the awesomeness of WinXP in the offline side of things.
    Yeah, it's nice when you can get old systems to do new things. I like experimenting with that kind of thing too.

For example I recently found out how to enable IE8 on XP to use TLS 1.1/1.2 which gets it onto most https websites. I'm sure there's lots of other tweaks out there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbbert View Post
    Yeah, it's nice when you can get old systems to do new things. I like experimenting with that kind of thing too.

For example I recently found out how to enable IE8 on XP to use TLS 1.1/1.2 which gets it onto most https websites. I'm sure there's lots of other tweaks out there as well.
    How did you do it?

the best way to use XP online is with the Pale Moon XP builds - see here: https://msfn.org/board/topic/177125-...targetting-xp/

How did you do it?
    It's a registry hack, one for each TLS. Open registry editor on your fully up-to-date XP machine.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AdvancedOptions\CRYPTO, and look for the 2 folders TLS1.1 and TLS1.2 (if they are not there, you're way behind on updates).

Have a look in each folder, look for the key OSVersion - it will say 3.6.1.0.0 - change it to 3.5.1.0.0 in both TLS1.1 and TLS1.2

Now close registry editor and reboot.

Now, open IE8, Tools, Internet Options, Advanced. Scroll down almost to the bottom, and you'll see 2 new checkboxes that weren't there before: Use TLS 1.1, and Use TLS 1.2 - turn them on.

Now visit a https site that wasn't accessible before - if you get a security certificate warning, click to continue on to the website. Now you can visit many sites that you couldn't before.
    However it doesn't fix all the issues, for example Youtube will tell you to upgrade your browser; MEGA will show a blank screen; and so forth. This is because IE8 is missing a lot of new features that many sites use.
    That's where Firefox ESR will usually do the job - MEGA works at least.