Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PET 2001 Sound

Default PET 2001 Sound

Hi,

I've found a number of suggestions for how to get sound out of my PET 2001-8. The easiest one I found on this VCFed archive.

Here's a quick look at the suggested circuit:
    PET User Port CB2 line -----> 20 ohm resistor ------> (+) PIEZO BUZZER (-) ---------> PET User Port GROUND

The question I have is whether the piezo buzzer called for in this diagram should be an active piezo or a passive piezo. Does anyone know?

It depends what you want it to do...

An active piezo has an internal oscillator, so the PET will only turn on and turn off an active piezo buzzer.

A passive piezo requires the PET to turn on and off the signal to make an audible sound. The advantage of this is that the frequency can be controlled by the software on the PET.

An active piezo is (in my opinion at any rate) louder than the passive equivalent, but less flexible.

Does that help, or raise more questions?

Dave

In this context, I think passive is what's needed. The piezo buzzer here is substituting for a larger speaker (and a transistor to provide enough current to drive it).

Thanks Dave & kgober.

I'm looking to add sound to games such as Space Invaders and demos such as "No Pets Allowed". Any idea whether these programs are using an active or passive piezo approach to generating sound?

They will be passive - just a simple piezo transducer.

I (personally) wouldn't just wire CB2 straight to the piezo transducer, but would implement the circuitry found on the 8032. This would be just the addition of an SN74LS00 in addition to the resistor and piezo transducer. You will obviously require +5V and 0V to feed the supply lines to the IC. Alternatively, in place of the IC, you could use a common general-purpose NPN bipolar transistor with something like a 470 Ohm to 1 kOhm resistor from CB2 in series with the transistor base. Connect the emitter to 0V and the collector through the resistor to the piezo transducer to +5V.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by tanuki View Post
    I'm looking to add sound to games such as Space Invaders and demos such as "No Pets Allowed"
    I was told the no pets allowed demo would not work on a pet 2001 so i never attempted it. Am I wrong because i would love to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    I was told the no pets allowed demo would not work on a pet 2001 so i never attempted it. Am I wrong because i would love to try it out.
    I assume it requires CRTC. If your 2001 has that, it'll work. If not, it sure won't do what it's supposed to do.

CRTC? Can you expand on that? I have a 2001-8 but I also have the tynemouth software RAM/ROM board as well.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    CRTC? Can you expand on that? I have a 2001-8 but I also have the tynemouth software RAM/ROM board as well.
    CRTC= cathode-ray tube controller. If it's a 2001 it doesn't have one; if it has one it ain't a 2001.

I'd just hook a cheap pair of computer speakers to CB2.

+1 Mike!

Good idea.

Dave