Image Map Image Map

Thread: Need quick help with my Apple Networrk Server 500/132

Question Need quick help with my Apple Networrk Server 500/132

Hello,

Normally this is the kind of thing that I debug on my own time by my self, but I am kinda on a time crunch (2 days to VCFMW) and need some help.

Two days ago my ANS 500/132 was working perfectly fine. I had just pulled it out of storage and had booted it up multiple times that day. It all was working perfectly fine, and I didn't have any issues whatsoever. Fat forward to yesterday, and I can't get a peep out of the machine. Pressing the power button does nothing, no fan activity or anything. I removed the lithium battery long ago, and the caps on the motherboard still looked OK (No brown goo). I double and triple checked all of the key locks on the machine, but they seemed to all be in order. I cannot think of a single reason why my machine isn't working.

Is there a troubleshooting manual somewhere that I can use as a starting point?

Thank You, Gavin

Edit: I found the floodgap FAQ troubleshooting section, but non of the suggestions did anything to my machine.
    Last edited by ThisPostContainsComputers; September 11th, 2019 at 06:51 PM.

As the author of that document, you're probably hosed At that point, it's most likely something wrong with the power supply.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room updated for 2019!: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

If the motherboard has those tiny SMD caps everywhere, they don't need to look like they're leaking to be bad. They often leak under the base of the capacitor where it's hard to see or have other failure modes like high ESR, electrical leakage, etc.

PSU could also be bad, but they generally fail long after the motherboard.

Hopefully if I have time tonight, I can give replacing the SMD caps a try. I have done it for a few of my other Macs, and I think I have enough for the entire board. I will also see if I can remove and inspect the power supply to see if I can find anything that has obviously blown.

Really, _really_ make sure all the doors are shut and locked.

Don't ask me how I know this

Blog Entries

I'll explain for him.

The rear logic door is interlocked to the Power Supply and will kill all power if it's not locked (not just closed and screwed in) so you cannot accidentially pull the logic board out with the power on.
    = Excellent space heater

I would be very surprised if it were caps. These things aren't that old, and I'm kind of tired of that always being the standard answer.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room updated for 2019!: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

I'm with CHC - more likely power supply issue(s).