Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expensive retro gear.

Blog Entries

Default Expensive retro gear.

Anybody have something vintage so expensive they are afraid of using it?

Was looking at a 3dfx Voodoo 6000 for auction in the UK that is at almost $3000 with 9 days to go.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3dfx-Voodoo...g/362751530027
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

I've got a fried one. Perhaps I should sell it as "Untested".

Blog Entries

Would you fire it up and game with it if it worked?

All this stuff is going to be blown to kingdom come eventually anyway, so I can't see why not. Why prolong the agony. Now I am interested in some mid to late 90s graphics cards, but for their specific.utility, not for.gaming. I for the utter life of me can't see why anyone would assign such a high value (particularly something that can't be repaired) to something so non extraordinary. Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Would you fire it up and game with it if it worked?
    Game? Not really. I used it every day though.

Blog Entries

Are you talking about the unreleased 6000 4 GPU model of the 5500 that I purchased new and still have?

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Are you talking about the unreleased 6000 4 GPU model of the 5500 that I purchased new and still have?
    Maybe not. Maybe it's a 5000. Memory is getting old. Whatever it is, I bought one new for less than half of what I paid for a used one to replace it when it went up in smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    All this stuff is going to be blown to kingdom come eventually anyway, so I can't see why not. Why prolong the agony. Now I am interested in some mid to late 90s graphics cards, but for their specific.utility, not for.gaming. I for the utter life of me can't see why anyone would assign such a high value (particularly something that can't be repaired) to something so non extraordinary. Whatever.
    Voodoo5 6000s have somewhat of a cult following and are repairable. An ex-3dfx employee actually came up with a fix for a few revisions of the card which have instability issues when using anti-aliasing and antisotropic filtering modes. There is still a small batch of new-old stock VSA-100 chips floating around, which means that Voodoo4 4500, Voodoo5 5500 and 6000 cards can be repaired still.

Though the VSA-100 is generally a pretty reliable chip unless you overclock or overheat it.

Hmm.... the listing seems to have vanished.

Anyway, I don't think I'd be "afraid" to use it if I had it and was going to keep it (which I wouldn't). It's just as likely to break sitting as it is to break from use, in my opinion.
    Compaq - “It simply works better”

Blog Entries

Seems like the seller was using a picture of somebody elses card that is not for sale so shady.

Anyway using expensive gear never really bothered me, but I get weird around expensive vintage gear (harder to replace).