Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Northstar Advantage advice please.

Blog Entries

Thanks all - fingers crossed for an easy brightness fix on the CRT.

Dramp5113 - thanks for the disk pointer, I'll follow that up when I get the machine.

I have also read that the Advantage has a BIOS/Monitor built in that could allow me to boot strap the machine via the serial port and allow me to write disks from images hosted on another connected machine - does anyone know of an 'idiots guide' to this approach ?

Quote Originally Posted by zippysticks View Post
    Thanks all - fingers crossed for an easy brightness fix on the CRT.

Dramp5113 - thanks for the disk pointer, I'll follow that up when I get the machine.

I have also read that the Advantage has a BIOS/Monitor built in that could allow me to boot strap the machine via the serial port and allow me to write disks from images hosted on another connected machine - does anyone know of an 'idiots guide' to this approach ?
    Now that I come to think of it, I have two Advantages in storage. I recall playing with them some and one of the drives, on one, was acting up. As I recall, I was booting to CP/M and not N* DOS. I see that at least one of the images found with google also shows booting with CP/M, so my mind isn't totally gone. I see others booting to N* DOS. I think these had both soft and hard sectored controllers ( most likely no at the same time).
    I'll need to go back and look at what I have. These may be soft sectored with a different controller.
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    Now that I come to think of it, I have two Advantages in storage. I recall playing with them some and one of the drives, on one, was acting up. As I recall, I was booting to CP/M and not N* DOS. I see that at least one of the images found with google also shows booting with CP/M, so my mind isn't totally gone. I see others booting to N* DOS. I think these had both soft and hard sectored controllers ( most likely no at the same time).
    I'll need to go back and look at what I have. These may be soft sectored with a different controller.
    Dwight
    More digging shows it was still hard sectored but could run both N*DOS and CP/M. I recall I had a number of the CP/M disk and they are most likely hard sectored. I'll try to find them and with some time try to make a serial method of imaging them, if Mike hasn't already done so.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

Thanks Dwight. I have some hard sector media for my Horizon.
    Dramp and Larry have pointed me towards the Dramp site where I should be able to type in his monitor stub to get the floppy disk write routine to work from a serial attached PC with suitable disk image from the dunfield images.

Quote Originally Posted by zippysticks View Post
    ...pointed me towards the Dramp site where I should be able to type in his monitor stub to get the floppy disk write routine to work from a serial attached PC with suitable disk image from the dunfield images.
    Can you boot into CP/M on your Horizon? If so, then you shouldn’t have to type in a loader to get PC2FLOP onto your machine. Let me know if you can run CP/M on your Horizon. Note that the disk images in the directory I gave you (http://deramp.com/downloads/north_st...tage/Software/) are the Dunfield Advantage images.

Mike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deramp5113 View Post
    Can you boot into CP/M on your Horizon? If so, then you shouldn’t have to type in a loader to get PC2FLOP onto your machine. Let me know if you can run CP/M on your Horizon. Note that the disk images in the directory I gave you (http://deramp.com/downloads/north_st...tage/Software/) are the Dunfield Advantage images.

Mike
    I Mike - no I have no boot disks whatsoever so will need the loader it seems.

Thanks

Ian

I’m confused then. I was under the assumption you had working Horizon computers, right?

“4. I do have a couple of working Northstar Horizons with hard sector media - are they boot compatible ?”

Mike

I’m confused then. I was under the assumption you had working Horizon computers, right?

“4. I do have a couple of working Northstar Horizons with hard sector media - are they boot compatible ?”

Mike
    He said he has a working N* Horizon so I'd assume you said you could create Advantage software on that platform. I'd think with media, he is in business.
    I'd just realized that I have a couple Advantages in storage. Just another of my brain farts.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

Mike
    Sorry Mike

Yes I thought you meant boot CP/M on the Advantage....
    Yes I can boot CP/M on the Horizon - you you are saying load PCFLOP on that and use the Horizon to write the Advantage boot floppy....I understand now.

The 10 hard sector media is used for both the Horizon and the Advantage, but the Horizon disks will not boot an Advantage computer. However, you can use your Horizon computer to write bootable disks for your Advantage. See my page at http://deramp.com/downloads/north_st...tage/Software/

I also have 10 hard sector media available if you need more disks.

As far as the video display goes, it looks exactly like a monitor with the brightness and contrast knobs set too high. Shouldn’t be a problem.

Mike
    I'm surprised that you didn't put in a sales pitch for your Virtual Sector Generator!!!!!