Image Map Image Map

Thread: Magnetic Tape Reels

Default Magnetic Tape Reels

Came across these while dealing with a relative's estate. Don't know much about them. Prices seem to range on eBay, but I'm open to any reasonable offers. I'm located in Edmonton, Alberta, and I know shipping can be a bit expensive.

IMG_8323.jpgIMG_8323.jpgIMG_8324.jpgIMG_8325.jpgIMG_8326.jpgIMG_8327.jpgIMG_8328.jpgIMG_8329.jpgIMG_8330.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rambunxious View Post
    Came across these while dealing with a relative's estate. Don't know much about them.
    IBM tapes, and a disk pack, with one Univac tape.
    Apparently they were associated with the school of Library Science
    The only thing that jumps out at me is the COMIT/360 tape

Blog Entries

When it comes to magnetic tapes, the value is in the content, not so much in the physical medium. Many millions of reels of 1/2" tape were produced. The pack looks like an IBM 2314 one, but that's just a guess.

Blog Entries

Second to that. Typically if it's a random or unimportant dataset a used tape is not worth much and serious tape users tend used stock due to shedding issues, BUT they still make great novelty objects, be it hung on a shelf or stacked on a desk trying to look important.

I don't think I've seen a Uniservo tape sell in ebay recently but I would expect they would sell for a little more due to their more historical nature and fewer of them actually being made. For the pack though, no idea. I've seen them sell for anywhere between $50 and $400 but you got major condition, type and format variables.
    = Excellent space heater

Right on! Thanks for the info, gents.