Image Map Image Map

Thread: IBM Aptiva

Default IBM Aptiva

Hi all,

I have an IBM Aptiva from the late 1990's\early 2000's. It has a problem where it will hang just after POST. Mainly at "Verifying DMI Pool data ................... Done", It works fine in the BIOS and doesn't lock up at all. I don't know if this is the right place to post it though?

The specs are

AMD K6-2 450MHz
    128MB PC-133
    Stock 95W Delta PSU
    Integrated SIS 530 Graphics
    Original 4.3GB HDD
    Onboard sound

Thanks For Your Help.

IBM machines from that era are notorious for capacitor failure. Check the motherboard for bulging/leaking capacitors, likewise the same with the power supply.

I checked but all the caps appear to be fine in both the PSU and the motherboard.

Blog Entries

Disconnect the hdd and see what happens. What is the particular model number? Could be model specific. Also documentation, maintenance manuals for that era IBM are readily available and have a nice trouble shooting guide in them.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."