Image Map Image Map

Thread: 68040 based Macs

Default 68040 based Macs

Do the Apple specific chips generally blow? What are the chances that a Quadra say can be repaired apart from needing apple specific ic's?

Most Apple machines from that era - especially the Quadras, Centris, and Performa machines - have notoriously leaky caps. If you have a dead machine of that type, first check the area around the aluminum electrolytic caps for damage. It will appear as discoloration on the solder-mask and sever oxidation of any thing metal such as leads and traces.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

I see that more with '030s than '040s. The Mystic Color Classic and Q800 here are still on their original caps, but all my '030 systems (IIci, IIsi, SE/30) needed to be recapped.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room updated for 2019!: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Blog Entries

Most Apple machines from that era - especially the Quadras, Centris, and Performa machines - have notoriously leaky caps.
    Want to add that the Quadra 700, 800, 900 and 950 are exceptions as for some reason Apple switched to tantalum and metal film capacitors briefly before going back to SMD lytics with the likes of the 840 and 660. I've had amazing reliability with the 700's and 950's as well compared to other mac products. Just do regular battery maintenance and keep the power supplies clean and they should last a bit longer before the power supplies will need to be recapped as preventative maintenance. They are coming up on 30 years old.
    = Excellent space heater