Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: after decades, it finally happened.

Blog Entries

Stuck in a POST card backwards. System worked before; not after (toasted a custom QFP)

I smoked a PET ROM chip by sticking it in backwards. Luckily I already had an EPROM replacement, (I initially thought the ROMs in the system might be bad, but it turned out to be a broken trace) but I still felt pretty bad about nuking the original.

I fried an A2000 ROM stupidly plugging it in backwards. I really know better. A2000s notoriously have that chip the opposite direction from what looks normal.

I've plugged 65c816 into IIGS backwards before. (On that entire board, it is the only chip with the notch opposite of all other chips.)
    Surprisingly, it still works after swapping back to correct orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkbert View Post
    I've plugged 65c816 into IIGS backwards before. (On that entire board, it is the only chip with the notch opposite of all other chips.)
    Surprisingly, it still works after swapping back to correct orientation.
    Parts in the 6500 family are usually quite OK to stick in backwards. Unlike other parts their power supply is all on one side instead of on diagonal corners.
    I put a TI EPROM in backwards once. It started to light up inside its window so I shut the power down quickly. It still worked fine after that. Luckily is was bonded with gold wire instead of aluminum boding. Most Intel chips would be dead in an instance.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    Plugged a 486 in the wrong way.
    Dwight
    I did that once.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

I've put the psu connectors on wrong. Also put a Kingston 5x86 over drive cpu in wrong and powered up the system.. Amazingly it survived but not as fast as it should have been.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    I've put the psu connectors on wrong. Also put a Kingston 5x86 over drive cpu in wrong and powered up the system.. Amazingly it survived but not as fast as it should have been.
    You'd think they'd keyed them to keep us idiots from getting it wrong.
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    You know, I have done that more than a few times on all kinds of machines, XT through the end of the AT era, and I do not think I have ever fried something doing it. The thing that has killed more than a few boards for me is dropping those slot cover screws on the motherboard (yeah I finally learned not to install slot covers while the machine is on).
    I fried the keyboard/mouse circuits on a Vectra that way.
    Once upon a time, the internet sucked because it came through the phone. Now the phones suck because they come through the internet.