Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 8050

Default 8050

Just bought a 8050 disk drive for 25, but a GPIB cable would cost more than the drive !

Time to get the soldering iron out unless someone knows a source of cheaper ones ?

Already have a HP manufactured cable, just need to solder on an edge connector I suppose.

On the other hand, I also have just got my Arduino to perform a load command, but its an upward battle. While the GPIB does indeed cater for slow responses, it doesn't like some that are too quick !

Another question, the connector has logic GND and GND pins, are they just connected together in the PET ?

IT WORKS !

Not the new drive, not picked it up yet, but I can successfully load a single line basic program from my Arduino, over the GPIB into the PET.

I know its small beans and been done before, but its made my day

Daft thing is, there is no logic on the board, just straight to the arduino pins, but it works fine. (just seen petSD uses drivers to allow multiple devices on the bus)
    Shame the memory is too small to hold anything large, but thats the next job (after I get cables sorted).

Happy days
    Last edited by Gary C; September 19th, 2019 at 07:30 AM.

Gary, You did very well on the price. I think I paid over 3 times that amount. My drives mechanically work but I haven't tried to get a working disk in the drive. I had a lot of trouble (still am) with my SFD-1001 floppy drive (both read only quad density disks and i couldnt find a single floppy to work in that drive). If you get yours working and are able to make a disk image, Id be happy to pay for a copy and postage just to have a working disk for my 8050.

Mick

Will do.

May take a while though.

Question for anyone

I have drafted a pcb in design spark and want to get a board built, but the RS suggested website Mint Tek comes back with a quote of 177 !

What PCB services do people use ?

Jlcpcb.

But you will need Gerber files.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    Question for anyone

I have drafted a pcb in design spark and want to get a board built, but the RS suggested website Mint Tek comes back with a quote of 177 !

What PCB services do people use ?
    http://pcbshopper.com/

fill in the details of your board and it will search the cheapest option including shipping to you.

Frank IZ8DWF

Quote Originally Posted by daver2 View Post
    Jlcpcb.

Dave

Cheers Dave

I have the Gerbers ready to go (i hope !) and uploaded them to Mint Tek but the quote was stupid, It maybe because I have done something wrong and asking for it to be etched in unicorn horn, but if I can compare it with a reasonable supplier, I can see if its me or Mint Tek.

Quote Originally Posted by iz8dwf View Post
    http://pcbshopper.com/

fill in the details of your board and it will search the cheapest option including shipping to you.

Frank IZ8DWF
    That seems like a good idea, thanks.

Last time I made a circuit board, it was single sided photo resist and etched at work, but that must have been 30 years ago.

Got my PET storage working and want to make it a bit less 'dangley wire'

Quote Originally Posted by daver2 View Post
    Jlcpcb.

Dave

Crikey JLCPCB are good. Didnt like designspark, but redrawn in Kicad and just awaiting the PCB. Bit cheaper too, 2 instead of 177 ! Think I wasnt getting something right in DS.