Image Map Image Map

Thread: Help required

Question Help required

Hi everyone,

So I am in the process of building a 1999 gaming PC (all for nostalgic purposes, obv)

I used to have a Pentium MMX 233 sporting a Voodoo 2 (vaguely remember) with a Creative CD Rom - (that's all I can remember) This was handed down from my dad from when he upgraded. Originally both PCs were from Tempo (if anyone remembers the store?)

Anyway I am kinda struggling with locating a motherboard to cater a P2 400mhz Slot 1 - I don't have too much knowledge on which type of motherboard to search for so wondered if anyone on here could perhaps point me in the right direction?

Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by cda886 View Post
    I used to have a Pentium MMX 233 sporting a Voodoo 2 (vaguely remember) with a Creative CD Rom - (that's all I can remember) This was handed down from my dad from when he upgraded. Originally both PCs were from Tempo (if anyone remembers the store?)
    I use a 233 MMX in my tweener that runs DOS 6.22 and 7.x as well as WIN 98 and WIN ME.

Never heard of Tempo -- where was it?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

I cannot seem to find any over here in the UK. So I've gone with a P2 400mhz for now. It's shocking how prices for all this kinda stuff has rocketed over the last year or so over here. (crazy!)

Tempo was a large chain of computer stores in the UK. I used to go there with my dad back in the 90s. All we have now is a crappy Currys/PC World that doesn't sell nothing but fridges and ovens!! We need thrift stores like you guys in the US have!!

Blog Entries

Look for a motherboard with a 440BX chipset and Slot 1. Most of the ones you will find were built for Pentium III use*; the chipset was on the market less than a year before the Pentium III was released. You need a 100 MHz bus to run a 400 MHz CPU so the earlier 440 chipsets will be too slow.

440BX is a very good chipset. Are you sure you can't accept a Pentium III? Pentium III will probably be cheaper but not so much faster that it can't be tuned down to match.

* Most of the Slot 1 motherboards will permit the replacing of the Pentium III with a Pentium II. I don't know of an exception but I recommend double checking anyway.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...pset,67-4.html and the rest of the article provides some motherboard model numbers to look for. Each manufacturer did newer revisions about every 6 months until the socket change so check models with different suffix numbers as well.
    Last edited by krebizfan; September 19th, 2019 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    ....Never heard of Tempo -- where was it?
    In the UK, I recall the name, https://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/0...adminstration/

Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    In the UK...
    Does that put Voodoo City in the UK, too?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Does that put Voodoo City in the UK, too?
    Of course it does lol.. the closest i can get to one though is a 3dfx wallpaper on my screen

My system, back in the day, was a soyo SY-6BA+IV motherboard and a 'made in Ireland' Intel P-II 300 that ran at 4x 113Mhz (452Mhz) its whole life. Along with 2x VooDoo2s, a Gravis Ultrasound, and DEC 'Tulip' network card. Ran everything I threw at it without a hitch.

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    Look for a motherboard with a 440BX chipset and Slot 1. Most of the ones you will find were built for Pentium III use*; the chipset was on the market less than a year before the Pentium III was released. You need a 100 MHz bus to run a 400 MHz CPU so the earlier 440 chipsets will be too slow.

440BX is a very good chipset. Are you sure you can't accept a Pentium III? Pentium III will probably be cheaper but not so much faster that it can't be tuned down to match.

* Most of the Slot 1 motherboards will permit the replacing of the Pentium III with a Pentium II. I don't know of an exception but I recommend double checking anyway.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...pset,67-4.html and the rest of the article provides some motherboard model numbers to look for. Each manufacturer did newer revisions about every 6 months until the socket change so check models with different suffix numbers as well.
    Thank you