Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replaced barrel battery and keyboard is locked

Default Replaced barrel battery and keyboard is locked

So I just replaced the barrel battery on a motherboard I'm using for a build and now when I turn it on, it says "keyboard is locked". I don't have a keylock switch connected and it didn't say anything about it beforehand. Any suggestions? I'm going to leave it plugged in for a few hours and try again when the battery has some charge

Did you solder anything?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Did you disconnect a wire while disassembling? It might just be that one wire is connected backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Did you solder anything?
    All I did was desolder the old battery and solder a stock replacement in its place. I checked and the connections are good. After leaving it on and letting the battery charge, it now posts and freezes before it checks the ram. Possibly bad cache? The ram came out of a working machine last year

20190919_194927.jpg

This is where it freezes, just replaced the ram and cache with known good replacements so it's not that.

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    All I did was desolder the old battery and solder a stock replacement in its place. I checked and the connections are good.
    It's not those connections I was intimating about. It's the possibility of unintended/unwanted ones. You may now have a renegade trace somewhere.

What caused you to bring cache into this matter?

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    ... it now posts and freezes before it checks the ram.
    How's that? The RAM is checked during the POST.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Well yes and no--the first 16K of RAM is checked before displaying anything, then the remainder of the base 640K, then the CPU switches into protected mode to check the extended RAM area. But the display is obviously getting initialized, so at least it's getting pretty far.

The Supersoft ROMs may provide some insight.

Blog Entries

Given how close the keyboard controller is to the location of the barrel battery on most old motherboards I also suspect that there are more prominent problems attributed to trace corrosion.
    = Excellent space heater

I tested all affected traces and all seemed to be good. I just went over with a magnifying glass and found a little corrosion on one pin of the bios chip but cleaning it didn't change anything. I thought the issue might have been cache because I've experienced some very strange issues in the past when that goes bad.

Why did you wait until post #9 to mention corrosion?

Did you check the traces on the inner layers?