Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replaced barrel battery and keyboard is locked

I've ended up with a handful of unrepairable boards where inner layer damage has disconnected various things; as mentioned, the keyboard controller is usually close to the battery, and often something will get disconnected there. Sometimes it's an outer layer and you can fix it with a fly wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Why did you wait until post #9 to mention corrosion?

Did you check the traces on the inner layers?
    I didn't mention it because the battery had just barely started leaking. There was corrosion in the connections for the battery, a very small amount on 2 traces, and surface corrosion on 1 resistor. I didn't see it on the bios chip until now and cleaning it hasn"t affected anything. Inner layers?

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    I didn't mention it because the battery had just barely started leaking. There was corrosion in the connections for the battery, a very small amount on 2 traces, and surface corrosion on 1 resistor. I didn't see it on the bios chip until now and cleaning it hasn"t affected anything. Inner layers?
    It isn't the visible corrosion itself that's the real problem. It's the corroded open traces that need to be repaired.

Inner layers should be self explanatory.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

What happens if you revert what you did, i.e. remove the battery ? Simple to do.

IME if you catch them early enough, most of the time when the visible corrosion is minimal there is no inner layer damage. It takes time for that stuff to seep in

Looks like that very small amount of corrosion was causing issues. Just a bad connection on that chip. No other corrosion visible anywhere on the board. It now posts fine and checks the ram but still throws the "keyboard locked" message. I tried a few different keyboards and no change. When I had the motherboard out of the case I tried it and got into the bios once but now that it's back inside the case it gives me that same error

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    It now posts fine and checks the ram but still throws the "keyboard locked" message. I tried a few different keyboards and no change. When I had the motherboard out of the case I tried it and got into the bios once but now that it's back inside the case it gives me that same error
    That's because it's coming from the motherboard, not the keyboard.

Take the board out of the case again. If it works you've likely got a case-induced short.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Aha! I got it! The screw holding the motherboard near the keylock jumper was shorting a trace! Works fine now! Aside from needing a new i/o controller card...

Blog Entries

When I was working with clone XTs, I made it standard practice to put a small nylon washer under the head of each mounting screw. PCB clone design back then could be a little dicey, particularly when the mounting screws were of the washer-head type.

I've seen those before, I had used on underneath but not on top.