Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Cut the Cord" Movement 2

Blog Entries

Default "Cut the Cord" Movement 2

It's been over a year since I got involved with 'cord cutting' and it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. My biggest problem was that my contract with Comcast was still in effect and I was forced to let it play out.

All of that has now been remedied. Yesterday I purchased a Motorola MT7711 from BestBuy, as they were the only ones that had it their shelf in my area. Unlike some modem/routers, this one puts out 2.4 G & 5 G simultaneously, not either or. Swapping the modem out today and getting everything in house back on line was about a 4 hour job, with most of it spent on-line with xFinity and Motorola. They always seem to forget some little pertinent detail in their hook-up literature. The modem swap out was successful and the Comcast Arris unit is now off my account and is history.

I selected Hulu as my main streaming feed. They have everything that I normally watch and their sports programming is absolutely the best, including cable or satellite. The only thing that is missing in the lineup is my wife's favorite Hallmark Movies. This will be remedied by a separate app for a few dollars per month, and even lets you watch on your pc/laptop/cell phone. So far, Hulu has presented itself with a great 1080 video and audio, with no buffering. Some of the live sporting events seem to be on a few minutes delay but that no big deal for me. If you're a college football nut like me, you can watch just about any game that's being broadcast. The HDHomeRun has a dual tuner and people can watch up to 2 different tv's for OTA. My setup has an outside antenna which feeds 3 of my 4 tv's directly, in the event that a major piece of hardware decides to take a dump. The Plex server has worked flawlessly over the last year or so and my wife enjoys being able to watch a movie or whatever from just about anywhere in the house.

I've eliminated 3 xFinity receivers, 1 xFinity DVR, and a Comcast modem for a total savings of total of $54 per month or $648 per year in rental fees. My Plex server lets me record OTA and Hulu also gives you fairly good chunk of space for your regular streaming program recordings. I need to maintain our VOIP phone from xFinity and the no-cap fee for the IE comes to about $97 per month in this area. Total monthly outlay is now about $144 as opposed to $226.40 or an annual saving neat $1000.

It's all good for now and if something goes awry down the road, I'll let you know.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

$144 per month is still a lot more than I pay Comcast and I get everything I want without any hassles so I'm keeping the cord.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    $144 per month is still a lot more than I pay Comcast and I get everything I want without any hassles so I'm keeping the cord.
    Did you consider that $49 per month goes for VOIP? I'm also bumped to unlimited downloads @ 175 down. I don't think you're getting my kind of service content from Comcast. Minus the phone it's about $95 per month.

Yeah, as someone who hasn't had cable TV since 2005, this is what I'm currently paying:

$65.99 (Total after all taxes) for 100mb Cable Internet
    $15.99 for Netflix (this is the 4 concurrent stream, I think 1 or 2 stream is cheaper)
    $11.99 for Hulu (Adfree version, I think it's about $8 for ad supported version)

So, basically $93.97. Of course, you can do cheaper with just the free hulu and internet, no netflix. I can't say if this provides similar experience to TV since I don't even remember what real tv was. But yeah, its really the internet thats the problem. When you first sign up it's around $45 or something, but after the first year it skyrockets.

I have no idea why anyone pays for a VoIP phone though? Since it's not a real land line, it's got no advantage. You can duplicate it by basically getting a Google Voice number and an Obi200 device to connect a physical phone to it. The cable company is offering nothing you can't do for free.

I'd be curious what Stone is paying for both Internet and Cable TV service, I imagine it's more, but maybe he lives in a super cheap/regulated area. Is it basic Cable TV, and what is the internet speeds?
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    But yeah, its really the internet thats the problem. When you first sign up it's around $45 or something, but after the first year it skyrockets.
    We always just called up to cancel at the end of the introductory rate period, when we were stuck with providers that played that game. Invariably, they will play chicken with cancelling your service, then switch you over to retention when they think you'll really do it. Half the time, we ended up with a rate *lower* than the introductory rate that had just ended, or a higher class of service for the same money. It helps to have some competitor's promotion as your reason for cancelling.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    I have no idea why anyone pays for a VoIP phone though? Since it's not a real land line, it's got no advantage. You can duplicate it by basically getting a Google Voice number and an Obi200 device to connect a physical phone to it. The cable company is offering nothing you can't do for free.
    I agree but the wife wants it and she says it's going to stay.

I'm in the same boat as ngtwolf. $70 or so for more internet than I need, free VoIP with Google and an Obi200 (also have a now useless Obi100). I don't pay for movie or whatever services online though. OTA TV is excellent in the metro areas that I can receive, and YouTube is good enough for the rest of it, what little time I spend in front of a TV. I haven't watched mainstream movies in decades and I can't tell you how much I like it. I don't know what drives people to watch modern movies let alone pay what they do for them.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    II don't know what drives people to watch modern movies let alone pay what they do for them.
    Couple that with the fact that some watch these movies on a phone.

I can't see how anyone could watch this stuff for hours on end on such a small screen when a 50" - 60" TV is immeasurably more rewarding and entertaining and probably even costs less than that way overpriced phone they're using.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Couple that with the fact that some watch these movies on a phone.

I can't see how anyone could watch this stuff for hours on end on such a small screen when a 50" - 60" TV is immeasurably more rewarding and entertaining and probably even costs less than that way overpriced phone they're using.
    I agree with all of that. What with all of the 'free' sites like Pluto, Tubi, Roku. etc., it's kind of overboard to pay for the likes of Home Box Office and such. I watched an older movie on Pluto the other night and there were just 3 commercials of about 40 seconds or so in the the entire flick.

I've been getting HBO free from Comcast for about ten years.