Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Cut the Cord" Movement 2

I cut the cord around 2006, when Cox lied to me yet again about qualifying for a special rate, and then when I got the bill they said I didn't.

At first I just went with an antenna. Eventually I signed up for netflix (by mail) and eventually I got the disc you could use in a playstation 3 for streaming.

It was a rough transition for a few weeks, but now when Cox or AT&T calls about some TV deal they've got, I just laugh. They can keep their 1950s TV. There is nothing I want to watch enough that I need live TV. I'd rather wait a year and watch the entire season at once.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Couple that with the fact that some watch these movies on a phone.

I can't see how anyone could watch this stuff for hours on end on such a small screen when a 50" - 60" TV is immeasurably more rewarding and entertaining and probably even costs less than that way overpriced phone they're using.
    I was at Walmart a week ago getting vacuum cleaner bags and you can get a 50" Vizio 4K HDR TV for $259.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

I think a lot of cord cutting has to be because of the cheap streaming services and the fact that most people are willing to pay for a fat internet pipe more then a cable account. There is also the fact that if you have decent internet you can pirate any TV show same day from a newsgroup (even sooner then air date of some shows that broadcast earlier in Canada).

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I was at Walmart a week ago getting vacuum cleaner bags and you can get a 50" Vizio 4K HDR TV for $259.
    Ya', and some of these phones cost ~ $1000. For what? I still don't get it. It's a cult.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

While we're on the subject of cord cutting, I made one of the biggest boo-boo's in a long time and it cost me many hours of unnecessary work/angst.

When I installed my new Motorola modem/router yesterday, I placed it on the shelf right next to the old Arris unit and swapped all of the cables over. The initial install and obligatory phone calls to xFinity and Motorola went with out a hitch, and the new system seemed ready to go. I used the old network name and password on the Motorola unit so as not to have visit and reset every device in the house. And that's where the problems began; every tv and laptop started acting somewhat erratic and I couldn't figure it out. Hulu would work for a while and mysteriously drop out as did the laptop's network connections. I started around noon-time and worked on the setup until a little after 11 PM. I was tired and upset and was beginning to suspect the new Motorola unit when I walked into my computer/gaming room and looked up on the self to see that Arris unit's lights still blinking. Then it dawned on me what a retarded donkey's patoot I had been. The Arris was still blasting out this and that and it was physically right next to the Motorola.

As soon as I unplugged the Arris it was as if Tinker Bell was flitting around the house and touching all of the tv's, cell phones, and laptops with her little magic wand.

I have WI-FI extenders around the house and the signal strength from the 5 G was the same as the 2.4 G. This morning everything is working as it should and my wife is actually getting pretty good with the PITA Apple TV control. Please don't feel sorry for me as I'll be 79 tomorrow and it goes with the territory.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Ya', and some of these phones cost ~ $1000. For what? I still don't get it. It's a cult.
    Mobility. People these days do everything on their phone and store quite a bit of their lives there as well. Its for people who want instant gratification and connection to others. Some people my age barely use a computer except for work while most people here are glued to their computer most of the day.

Mobility. People these days do everything on their phone and store quite a bit of their lives there as well. Its for people who want instant gratification and connection to others.
    Don't get me wrong -- I have two phones. But I didn't pay ~ $1,000 for them. In fact they were both free with one year's service from Tracfone.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    I'm in the same boat as ngtwolf. $70 or so for more internet than I need, free VoIP with Google and an Obi200 (also have a now useless Obi100). I don't pay for movie or whatever services online though. OTA TV is excellent in the metro areas that I can receive, and YouTube is good enough for the rest of it, what little time I spend in front of a TV. I haven't watched mainstream movies in decades and I can't tell you how much I like it. I don't know what drives people to watch modern movies let alone pay what they do for them.
    Lucky you.. I was going to set up OTA and had picked up a big antenna and the Homerun box, but I live right next to a mountain and the transmitter is just on the other side without direct line of site... the other optional antenna's would be too far the other direction.. The only channels I was able to pick up is, I believe, Fox.. and lots of vietnamese and spanish channels. It's all good anyway, I don't mind the few bucks for the streaming services just for that convenience.

I do still go to the movies, since I have a son and so it's a day out sometimes. If I really want to see a movie, i like seeing it on the big screen... if I don't care that much about it, netflix is fine. But yeah, I don't have a lot of free time for television either.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Quote Originally Posted by jafir View Post
    I cut the cord around 2006, when Cox lied to me yet again about qualifying for a special rate, and then when I got the bill they said I didn't.

At first I just went with an antenna. Eventually I signed up for netflix (by mail) and eventually I got the disc you could use in a playstation 3 for streaming.

It was a rough transition for a few weeks, but now when Cox or AT&T calls about some TV deal they've got, I just laugh. They can keep their 1950s TV. There is nothing I want to watch enough that I need live TV. I'd rather wait a year and watch the entire season at once.
    Funny, that's similar to how I got rid of my tv service. My cable service kept cutting out and one day it was out for 3 days so I finally got around to checking since that was longer than usual and it turned out that this time I had forgot to pay the bill. No problem, so I go to pay but they say that since it was a couple days over or whatever, i would need to redo the 'activation' fee. So, I promptly took the box and everything back to the cable company and dropped it off. I also had that super gimicky PS3 netflix disk at one point.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

There is also the fact that if you have decent internet you can pirate any TV show same day from a newsgroup (even sooner then air date of some shows that broadcast earlier in Canada).
    Newsgroups? I didn't even know that was still a thing.
    -- Brian