Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Cut the Cord" Movement 2

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    I agree but the wife wants it and she says it's going to stay.
    Oh, i get that your wife wants the "physical" phone, I'm just saying you can do the same thing with a Google Voice account and the Obi200 as you're getting with the xfinity voip phone. You can still connect a physical phone to it, just like the VoIP setup. Anyway, something to look into when you get a chance.

https://www.whichvoip.com/articles/o...ogle-voice.htm
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    Newsgroups? I didn't even know that was still a thing.
    When ISP started cracking down on file sharing via p2p everybody went to newsgroups which why most ISP dropped newsnet servers and you need to pay for a news provider.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

I have never had a TV bigger than a 25" console. Well, I did buy a 27" TV about 25 years ago and the quality disgusted me so I returned it. I have one cheap (in my family room) and one really high quality (in the basement where no one uses it) LCD TV. I don't know what size they are but the overall cabinet width is less than the width of the 25" consoles I have.

50" ? I could give many reasons that I would never buy such a thing. But for now there's just this: My house is the only one round here that isn't aglow with the light of TV commercials at night. Driving or walking round at night, every house one looks at either has a giant TV visible from the front of the house, or, the light is flickering from the windows. Not mine. TV is not the central focus of my home.

Decades ago, I worked with a guy who I thought was insane. He wanted to buy an Amiga from me but didn't want to spring for a monitor. I told him that until he bought a monitor, he could use a TV. His response was "I don't have a TV." This made no sense to me. Eventually I learned that his wife had snuck a TV into their attic to sit up there and watch when he was at work. When he discovered it, he smashed it to pieces and put it in the garbage. I've since concluded that whilst he was bound to have serious marital problems, he wasn't necessarily insane.

Blog Entries

50" TV's are pretty much the basic models these days, there are much larger models out there and some smaller ones for kids rooms.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    ... His response was "I don't have a TV." This made no sense to me. Eventually I learned that his wife had snuck a TV into their attic to sit up there and watch when he was at work. When he discovered it, he smashed it to pieces and put it in the garbage. I've since concluded that whilst he was bound to have serious marital problems, he wasn't necessarily insane.
    Oh, but he was.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Oh, but he was.
    Because he wouldn't have a TV in his house?

Because he wouldn't have a TV in his house?

When he discovered it, he smashed it to pieces and put it in the garbage.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

ngtwolf:

Worth looking into. Kind of leery of the hidden pitfalls as I never really trust anything that seems to be free.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

I use TextNow which it totally free for all calls and texts in the US.

Decades ago, I worked with a guy who I thought was insane. He wanted to buy an Amiga from me but didn't want to spring for a monitor. I told him that until he bought a monitor, he could use a TV. His response was "I don't have a TV." This made no sense to me. Eventually I learned that his wife had snuck a TV into their attic to sit up there and watch when he was at work. When he discovered it, he smashed it to pieces and put it in the garbage. I've since concluded that whilst he was bound to have serious marital problems, he wasn't necessarily insane.
    That's not to strange my friends father who was a Baptist Minster asked me is the away to get a TV to work on channel 9 and 11 only so his family could watch 700 club and the other guy so I cracked open a old B&W set I had and removed all but 9 and 11..
    Never Bin or sell your old computer's you will regret it!!
    Vic 20 x3,C64 x2,128D,C128 flat deck,A1000 x2,A500 x3,A2000,A600,A1200,Apple ][e,2x Apple][ GS rom 01,03,Apple ][c x4 with only 1 PSU,2x Laser 128EX EX2,Atari 600XL,2x 800XL,130XE w/320 mod With a MyIDE plus,Atari 1040stf w/2.5meg..