Image Map Image Map

Thread: HP 9000/712/60 Gecko floppy issue

Default HP 9000/712/60 Gecko floppy issue

Hello all,
    I have an HP 712/60 Gecko with a weird issue. On every floppy drive I try in the machine, the stepper motor for the head stays on so it just keeps driving the head forward the whole time the computer is powered. I'm not sure what the issue is and wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this, I would like to start making backup and boot disks for when the old 1 GB SCSI drive kicks the bucket. It's only a matter of time and there is data from the early 90's on here from my dad
    Thanks,
    Ian

Did your 712/60 come with a floppy drive and now that drive is acting weird, or did it not come with a drive and you are trying to add one?

I have some 712/60 systems that came with floppy drives. I have never tried to add a floppy to a 712/60 that didn't already have one. I have never looked closely at the floppy drives in the 712/60 systems I have to see if there is anything unusual about them. I could take a look and see exactly what model of floppy drive they are.

Even if you did have a working floppy drive, I'm not sure how useful that would be. As far as I remember off hand I don't think you can boot a 712/60 from a floppy drive, and I can't imagine trying to back up much of anything to floppy disks on a 712/60 instead of over the net or just cloning the whole SCSI drive as a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by gslick View Post
    Did your 712/60 come with a floppy drive and now that drive is acting weird, or did it not come with a drive and you are trying to add one?

I have some 712/60 systems that came with floppy drives. I have never tried to add a floppy to a 712/60 that didn't already have one. I have never looked closely at the floppy drives in the 712/60 systems I have to see if there is anything unusual about them. I could take a look and see exactly what model of floppy drive they are.

Even if you did have a working floppy drive, I'm not sure how useful that would be. As far as I remember off hand I don't think you can boot a 712/60 from a floppy drive, and I can't imagine trying to back up much of anything to floppy disks on a 712/60 instead of over the net or just cloning the whole SCSI drive as a backup.
    It came with a drive, that one stopped functioning all together, so I tried replacing it with another one I had lying around maybe it shorted something on the board of the machine. I actually got it to run for the first time by swapping some bad ram from my 715/64. I am very unfamiliar with these machines I wanted to experiment with Unix a bit. The 715 I would really like to restore but the HIL adaptor is missing and I canít find one anywhere. The port looks like RJ-45 and the keyboard I received with it has a similar connector but they donít fit each other.

If I canít boot off the floppy the next step would be finding a scsi cable for the external cd drive and then imaging the drive over a network.
    Ian

https://www.ebay.com/dsc/i.html?_arm...ino%29&_sop=10

They're not always this expensive. Keep watching, one'll turn up.