Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tech usage plans for when I settle down

Default Tech usage plans for when I settle down

My plan to raise my future children as I was living in the early 2000's might balance things out when it comes to screen time. I don't want them to be in danger of government spying technology. So no cell phones, and no modern tech whatsoever, only the old stuff I grew up with. As a positive side effect, they may appreciate non-screen based activities. Once they are all grown up and out of the house they are free to use whatever devices they want and have a cell phone. But under my care I want them to be safe. I didn't own a cell phone until my late teen years and I didn't feel a need for it. So no big deal. No need for it today either, expect for some jobs that require it. But for personal use, landlines still work great. Tell your lazy bum friends to leave voicemails.

I don't think it's really a big deal letting your kids have unlimited screen time. While being outdoors is nice, they should have the freedom to do whatever they want in their free time. (within reason of course, no bank robbing please, or beating up old ladies haha) I'm a computer addict myself, and too much screen time might be unhealthy, but I've been doing it all my life and I'm fine. Just make sure you get enough sleep..

I'd make a pretty neat parent don'tcha think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkiWS0fmnt0
    Last edited by computerdude92; September 21st, 2019 at 08:19 AM.

voicemail is disgusting, no one in their right mind will leave them, much less listen to the horrid things

Blog Entries

True--let's retreat to the era when nobody answered the phone if you weren't home.

I love voicemail. It's so convenient when you can come home and check messages in your own time and not be bothered all day with texts. My friends don't mind leaving me voicemails. I love being free. Being an introvert is a nice thing too.

I don't care for texting. It's annoying and the messages sent tend to be too simple. It's nicer to type an email instead and you can take your time writing, rather than feel pressured to text back and forth when your texting. (It's like a brief vocal conversation back to back) Plus you get more space to write when you email, unlike texting.

I hate this modern world, so living in the old era brings me peace.

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    voicemail is disgusting, no one in their right mind will leave them, much less listen to the horrid things
    Why? Patience issues no offense?

I thought all you retro tech lovers love being corny/cheesy just like me and you embrace it...
    Last edited by computerdude92; September 21st, 2019 at 09:16 AM.

Blog Entries

My voicemail is rendered to text if I desire. I don't see that as an annoyance, any more than the text limit on a SMS device.

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    Why? Patience issues no offense?

I thought all you retro tech lovers love being corny/cheesy just like me and you embrace it...
    I don't consider it an "issue" I consider impatience to be a great virtue. Patience breeds no sense of urgency and diminishes productivity - it is a vehicle of mediocrity.

That aside, having to listen to a recorded voice ramble on is simply a nuisance. And the automatic transcriptions are comically nonsensical

Blog Entries

Actually, the transcriptions that I've received have been pretty much bang on. Perhaps you're using the wrong software.

Patience is a virtue. Act in haste, repent at leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Actually, the transcriptions that I've received have been pretty much bang on. Perhaps you're using the wrong software.

Patience is a virtue. Act in haste, repent at leisure.
    I believe that when most people extol the virtues of "patience" what they are really lauding is deliberate action. I'm 100% behind making all actions deliberate and measured, just doing so in the shortest amount of time possible

Old school values can still apply today. Not much sense in this uncomfortable rushing from place to place, thing to thing when it's best to just relax, breathe, and enjoy life at a leisurely pace. Act fast only if really necessary, like if you're at work. I'm 26 going on 27 and I still have a long time left to live. I can't believe people can be so silly impatient these days. Back in my day (15 years ago) things were at a decent pace I believe, and people actually waited more than a few seconds for you to answer your door! I know, I'm acting grampy at such a young age but I don't care. I have valid concerns. Cell phones are messing up society. I never heard of text voicemail, but that makes sense seeing I've never owned a smartphone, and I'm proud of it.

I was raised by older parents, so I don't fit 100% into this millennial generation. I'm glad. I can see both sides of the topic.
    Last edited by computerdude92; September 21st, 2019 at 02:42 PM.