Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8-bits IDE interface

Consider to put a processor between XTA controller and ATA drive, which does the translation in realtime (fast enough). That processor could be placed on a board which also has the CF slot. This would prevent to modify the computer.

I've been stalled on NetPI development lately but plan on returning before the end of the year. There is partial documentation on where I'm currently at here:

https://www.retrotronics.org/netpi

There is nothing that would prevent it from working with XTA although I haven't tried yet. I do have a Tandy 1000 RL and RSX to test with.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Moogle! View Post
    Beware, and make certain that is not a Panasonic/Mitsumi interface card. I have a few of them.
    I have nothing to go on but my memory at this point, but I'm almost certain the CDROM it shipped with was in fact IDE

I don't know the nuts and bolts of the panasonic/mitsumi interface but it sure looks like an XT-IDE type setup. Nothing on the card but a 688 for address decoding, a 244, 245, and a few misc 74 series gates and buffers

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    That looks like a more typical "XT-IDE" style controller, nothing to do with XTA drives unfortunately!
    sorry if it was off-topic, just figured this thread was a good place to discuss any factory 8-bit IDE solution

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    ... but it sure looks like an XT-IDE type setup. Nothing on the card but a 688 for address decoding, a 244, 245, and a few misc 74 series gates and buffers
    There must be at least two 8-bits latches like the 373, 374, 573 and 574 on board to hold the data bits 8..15. If not, I'm afraid it is not an XT-IDE equivalent.

sorry if it was off-topic, just figured this thread was a good place to discuss any factory 8-bit IDE solution
    I my self don't consider it as off-topic. XTA is reasonably rare so any input on this topic could be of help.

My own conclusion so far: until somebody comes with an easy out-of-the-box solution, use a XT-IDE card and accept the penalty of loosing one ISA slot.
    With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org

Quote Originally Posted by Ruud View Post
    My own conclusion so far: until somebody comes with an easy out-of-the-box solution, use a XT-IDE card and accept the penalty of loosing one ISA slot.
    Yeah, unfortunately for now it's that or find an XTA drive.

That's fine if the computer has ISA slot. Some of my Olivetti with XTA drive don't have.

There must be at least two 8-bits latches like the 373, 374, 573 and 574 on board to hold the data bits 8..15. If not, I'm afraid it is not an XT-IDE equivalent.

I my self don't consider it as off-topic. XTA is reasonably rare so any input on this topic could be of help.

right it's not an xt-ide equivalent then, it just supports 8 bit transfers with ATA signalling judging by the design

The XT-CF-Lite subfamily of XT-IDE cards doesn't have/need the latches for d8-15 because it exploits the 8-bit mode available on CF cards, I suppose it's possible the IDE CD-ROM drive that came with that adapter may have supported the same 8-bit mode. (There are hints out there that a few hard drives support it, but I don't know that anyone has actually demonstrated that drive X works on an XT-CF card equipped with a 40 pin connector.)