Image Map Image Map

Thread: Different capacitor types - which is this?

Default Different capacitor types - which is this?

The red circled cap in the pic looks like the electrolyte type, but has no slit on the top like the others in the photo. Is this circled cap electrolytic or a funny looking solid cap? Having no slit on top looks worrisome. The pic is just an example. I find the same looking caps on many sound cards. I've never heard of caps bursting on sound cards, I guess because they don't push them much. But caps can fail and cause distorted audio. What about damage to the PCI slot, knock on wood? Curious.

https://ibb.co/z4wMQCW

It is just an electrolytic. They don't always have a bust seal on top.
    Dwight

What is going on with R5 (could be R6) its just a spring coil?! And its a resistor not an inductor? That is odd

Blog Entries

Without knowing its place in the circuit, it's difficult to say. Could be a small-resistance value for monitoring current.

It is an audio circuit so the coil inductance is not an issue. I'm with Chuck, it is a small value of resistance for some purpose. It may be a negative resistance devise to protect the tubes current on power up.
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Without knowing its place in the circuit, it's difficult to say. Could be a small-resistance value for monitoring current.
    I'm using this image only to describe my question. I don't actually own the circuit board. Sorry I unintentionally mislead you guys.
    Last edited by computerdude92; September 30th, 2019 at 08:55 PM.

Blog Entries

Yeah, well the boutique pseudo-retro audiophile stuff is beyond my comprehension, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    I'm using this image only to describe my question. I don't actually own the circuit board. Sorry I unintentionally mislead you guys.
    Thank goodness. I always hate to see someone get ripped off by such garbage. Silver wire, because it sounds better than copper( marketing or audio, you pick one ).
    Dwight