Image Map Image Map

Thread: Using high rpm fans with a fan controller

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Using high rpm fans with a fan controller

Are 3000RPM 120mm fans safe to use with a fan speed controller? They push a LOT of air. Is turning down the RPM safe??

Blog Entries

Unless they're AC operated, I can't see any problems.

Don't see why it would be unsafe if the power rating of your fan speed controller is up to scratch. If it's sized for a fan with a smaller current draw, the magic smoke might get out. It is unlikely to be as efficient to take a high-speed fan and turn it down a lot, as it is to take a low-speed fan and turn it down only a little.
    Last edited by justanotherhacker; September 24th, 2019 at 08:53 AM. Reason: stupid typo drawer->draw.

Compare the amp draw of the fan to the per channel amp limit of the controller. If its too low, you're most likely going to burn something up.

I've seen people put monster delta fans on fan controllers thinking they could handle the massive current draw and the thing goes up in smoke after they power on.

Blog Entries

Big fans big noise.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Maybe describe the specific details, setup and whatnot, and why you feel the need for high output. I still have to arrange fans for my xeons, especially the dimms as they get very hot. The only solution that seems practical is to mount them on dummy expansion cards, utilizing the 2 pci-x slots that I don't foresee having a use for.

I was going to get an automotive radiator fan and jury rig that in somehow. It would look so friggly though. Everything would be nice and cool though.