Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Using high rpm fans with a fan controller

Blog Entries

Not servers, but rackmount industrial PCs or PLCs used for manufacturing (usually 4U or larger case or thereabouts). made to operate on a dirty shop floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    You want filtered air to blow into the case--having airflow in the reverse direction is bad news for things like CD and floppy drives. I've been guilty of opening PSUs just to change the airflow direction.

There does (or used to) exist filters with airflow restriction detection. Industrial rack-mount cases usually have large filters and fans that blow clean air into the case.

Perhaps the worst "innovation" was the floor stand that allowed one to sit a PC XT or AT on its side on the floor, where all the dirt resides.
    Just curious, what would happen to the floppy and CD drives? I've never done it before, thank goodness.

Here is my new airflow idea. All I did was reverse the side panel fans so I have an even balance of positive and negative pressure. Is it important for it to be balanced?

https://ibb.co/wcPDQ51

https://ibb.co/NZrbr7k

Is my airflow design good for cooling my system better?
    Last edited by computerdude92; October 4th, 2019 at 08:57 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    Just curious, what would happen to the floppy and CD drives? I've never done it before, thank goodness.
    The floppy and CD drives would filter out the dust instead. It is amazing how much dust can be drawn in the small openings on the drive.

Blog Entries

Hard to say if this is better. A little investment into a temperature probe might shed some light.

Airflow can be devilishly difficult to engineer--you may think that everything's fine, only to realize that there are dead spaces in the scheme.