Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC 5150 Floppy Bezels

Default PC 5150 Floppy Bezels

I recently purchased an original 5150 PC. It came with both disk drives installed and the original IBM floppy controller card. The first drive works but the second drive doesn’t spin, so I want to replace it with a 720K drive. It would be pretty ugly to have a half-height drive in a full-height bay, though. Is there a source of bezels that will make a half-height drive look like it belongs in a 5150? Or do I just stack two drives in 3.5” to 5.25” adapters and call it good.

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiThirty View Post
    Is there a source of bezels that will make a half-height drive look like it belongs in a 5150?
    I know there's one to mount a 5¼" drive that way but I'm not sure about one for a 3½" drive.
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

720K drive? You must mean a 3.5" 720K drive, not a 5.25" one (they exist; e.g. Teac FD55F). I'm not aware of anything like that, though I suppose you could work something up on a 3D printer.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    720K drive? You must mean a 3.5" 720K drive, not a 5.25" one (they exist; e.g. Teac FD55F). I'm not aware of anything like that, though I suppose you could work something up on a 3D printer.
    Yeah, a 3.5” drive. I’ve got tons of 720K disks. I can pick up a 3.5” to 5.25” adapter and glue another black blank to the top for now, I guess. I don’t have a way to write 5.25” disks without using IMGWRITE on the PC itself so a 3.5” drive is useful.

The original way to do it is like this:

s-l500.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

The box at the bottom has holes on the side and the bottem, so that you can still put the one screw that goes in from the bottom of the 5150 and 5160 case. I'm pretty sure that a 3.5 to 5.25 adapter could go into where the floppy drive is.

Also, I think I saw where someone had made 3d printable versions of this recently.

Also also, there should be a plastic bezel the snaps onto the front, but I'll bet those are even hard to find than the box and side plates, unless you pull one out of a complete system, like a late 5160 or 5162 that came with half height drives.

EDIT: Here are the 3d files I saw: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2217061
    Last edited by jafir; September 24th, 2019 at 12:03 PM.

Blog Entries

Yabut, the OP was talking about 1/3 height 3.5" drives.

Yeah, but 5.25 to 3.5 adapters are easy to find. Then you use the full to half adapter and you’re done.

Blog Entries

Well, here's another idea. The standard 5.25" FH drive opening is about 3.25" high. A 3.5" drive is 3" high. You could actually stack 2 3.5" floppies and one 3.5" hard disk in that opening. Mostly a bit of sheet-metal work for the bracket and some custom plastic for the bezel.

There were also half-height 5.25" floppy drives mounted into an integrated full-height bezel, making them look full-height externally even though they were half-height internally. Compaq used them in the later Portable I's and Tandy used them in the TRS-80 Model 4D:

In my 5150 PC I have the stock full-height 5.25" floppy drive in the left side bay, and a black 3.5" floppy drive in a half-height 5.25" adapter frame on top of a 5.25" half-height hard drive (Seagate ST-225) in the right side bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    720K drive? You must mean a 3.5" 720K drive, not a 5.25" one (they exist; e.g. Teac FD55F).
    Can't you run any 5.25" HD drive as a 5.25" 720k drive using a DD-only controller?