Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bluetooth is bad

How many people here voluntarily have an Amazon Echo or Google Home listening device, or a Ring doorbell video surveillance device at home? Nothing could ever go wrong with the data collected there, right? I'd rather take my chances on Bluetooth security.

So someone's going to listen in whilst I listen to Roky Erickson on my wife's car stereo? Oh no! Some criminal hacker is going to tell Sony that I got it from Napster!

Quote Originally Posted by gslick View Post
    How many people here voluntarily have an Amazon Echo or Google Home listening device, or a Ring doorbell video surveillance device at home? Nothing could ever go wrong with the data collected there, right? I'd rather take my chances on Bluetooth security.
    The Echo's got the best of both worlds -- it's always listening and it has Bluetooth connectivity as well.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Or "smart TVs" or other devices with microphones. Don't kitchen appliances have those as well as internet connectivity now?

Either way, Google is listening wherever Apple and Microsoft might not be. And those are just the ones we know about.

Blog Entries

I can see a problem with BT on phone letting the phones get hacked easily. Phones these days have wifi and your wifi l/p saved, so hacking somebodies phone means they can get into your wifi at home and wait for you to do some secure banking to get that info.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

The article reads like fearmongering Boomer Candy.

Something is bad
    *ads*
    and you should do this because a bunch of young people know how to crack it
    *ads*
    and you use it on everything and people might listen in on your call to Emma and learn how she bakes her pies!
    *more ads*
    *top 10 lists generated by a clickbot*
    *product review of a coffee maker*

Congrats, it's an older standard that has feature creep because people in charge sign off on stupid decisions. Of freaking course it has security issues.

This. I've proactively tried to avoid online enabled devices such as this due to their dubious nature and the fact I don't need electronics in this regard to hold my hand like I'm stupid (like wireless lightbulbs). My phone doesn't use a data plan because IT'S A PHONE.
    Last edited by NeXT; September 24th, 2019 at 05:40 PM.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

What is a Bluetooth device?
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    What is a Bluetooth device?
    Speakers, headphones or a computer, tablet or phone, just to name a few.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Easier to answer "What isn't?" these days.

But what's it got to do with the guy with black teeth anyway?

Sorry to hear you're being forced to choose one evil over the other, but something tells me that's not the case for everyone.
    int10h.org :: :: :: blog