Image Map Image Map

Thread: WD 1003V controller should work in a 386 motherboard, yes?

Default WD 1003V controller should work in a 386 motherboard, yes?

I have been using this WD1003V-MM2 controller in a 286-12 system to test and LLF (using SpeedStor) some MFM drives that I've had stored. It has worked flawlessly.

I no longer have the 286 motherboard, so I moved the controller to a 386 system (Everex Step 386/25) after removing the IDE controller card that was in it. The floppy drives are also now attached to the 1003V.

With the AMI bios set to the correct AT drive type, it does not see the hard drive or controller. It addresses the floppies, and I can trick it to boot from the floppy, which works but incredibly slowly. Then, from the command prompt, FDISK says no hard drive present. SpeedStor loads and hangs.

Removed all cards except the 1003V and video card. No change.

It was my understanding that these MFM controllers were supposed to work in 386 systems, yes? Any ideas?

The CPU shouldn't make much difference, but bus speed might. If your 286-12 ran the ISA bus at a slower speed than your 386, that might be the cause of your trouble. Your 386 doesn't have an onboard floppy controller, does it? That will conflict with the floppy controller on the 1003V.

If your 386 has a way to change the clock speed, try running it at the 'slow' or 'compatible' speed setting. Just to see what happens.

Thanks for your input. The 386 has no onboard i/o controllers. Bus speed is set to the conservative "/3" setting for 8.33MHz (25MHz / 3).

Sidenote: my posts take forever to appear on the forum - what's the delay?

I found the problem, one of the HDD cables was bad. Was fine for a month or more.
    The symptoms caused by this were pretty weird, especially Speedstor hanging.

Until you reach 10 posts your posts have to be approved by a moderator. this is to avoid issues with new users who join only to post spam.

2 more posts and the delay will be gone.

OK, thanks for the explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by precaud View Post
    I found the problem, one of the HDD cables was bad. Was fine for a month or more.
    The symptoms caused by this were pretty weird, especially Speedstor hanging.
    Try using some connector cleaning spray, you can get it at auto parts stores or hardware stores in the electrical section. You may want to follow up with some deoxit gold, or if unavailable, CRC precision lubricant which has similar results.

I'd also recommend it for cards that aren't working properly, I have problems with AGP and older cards getting an oxide coating on them, the same with the slots on the motherboard, which causes bus glitches and the cards don't work properly.