Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unbelievably Valuable ASR33

The local phone company kicked out the telephone museum run by retired employees from their building (yes, the local telco are jerks). They sold a bunch of stuff from it and I picked up like 6 teletypes each for $5. Pics are here: http://user.xmission.com/~legalize/tmp/tty-auction

Quote Originally Posted by legalize View Post
    The local phone company kicked out the telephone museum run by retired employees from their building (yes, the local telco are jerks). They sold a bunch of stuff from it and I picked up like 6 teletypes each for $5. Pics are here: http://user.xmission.com/~legalize/tmp/tty-auction
    The ASR33 is missing the readers cover piece.
    Quite a collection.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    The ASR33 is missing the readers cover piece.
    Note the keyboard arrangement and blocked pin holes on the reader. That's a 5-bit BAUDOT Model 35 with a Telex CCU.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

Was wondering how long it would take before someone realized that this was a TTY for sending Telex or TWX.

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    Note the keyboard arrangement and blocked pin holes on the reader. That's a 5-bit BAUDOT Model 35 with a Telex CCU.
    Would that explain the price?
    WTB: Case for Altair 8800 ...... Rolands Github projects

Blog Entries

No--5-level machines were quite common. Used for telegrams since forever; every company that had international business used them to send Telex or TWX messages. TDD for the deaf still uses 5 level code, at least in the US.

I have no explanation for the asking price.

Well 5 or 8, it won't work without the cover. I should have noticed with all the rest of the 5 bit stuff he had.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Huisman View Post
    Wow!

4300 pound is approx 5300 Dollar. You can ship a lot from the US for that money...
    Yes but an ASR33 needs UK gears for the different mains frequency (and a transformer for the voltage but thats easy)
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    Yes but an ASR33 needs UK gears for the different mains frequency (and a transformer for the voltage but thats easy)
    UK gears might be a bit difficult but a straightforward alternative is a frequency changer. You could combine with dropping the voltage and it’d be a **** sight cheaper than the £4300 alternative .

Quote Originally Posted by bobaboba View Post
    UK gears might be a bit difficult but a straightforward alternative is a frequency changer. You could combine with dropping the voltage and it’d be a **** sight cheaper than the £4300 alternative .
    Indeed this works. I have an model 32 telext (60Hz) while our line frequency is 50Hz.
    I use a powerbrick from a server (12V@70Amps) and feed that into an inverter (600W) which churns out 110V/60Hz.
    So when I power it on, I first hear the PSU fans come alive, and about 3 seconds later, the motor of the machine starts.
    Fairly cheap solution, the PSU was free, the inverter was about 120 Euro's.

My model 33 ASR does have the 50Hz gearset, so for thatt one I only use a step down transformer.