Image Map Image Map

Thread: PSA: Recap Those IBM PS/2 Floppy Drives!

Default PSA: Recap Those IBM PS/2 Floppy Drives!

Apparently some PS/2 floppy drives have been leaking long enough to have the circuit boards damaged by the electrolyte, a common thing on Macs. I repaired one this morning that had the entirety of one pad under a cap eaten away; fortunately, it could be fixed with a jumper wire. Get to 'em before they're too far gone!

Well, nevermind, apparently there's something going on under the motor control board. I've never had luck removing the motor rotor to get that board off, so I guess this one's dead. Killed by electrolyte goop.

I saved two PS/2 floppy drives by changing the capacitors.

Those surface mount capacitors are a pain ! I still remember my old Sony HandyCam purchased in 1990,
    after a few years all those capacitors started leaking , I was not about to tackle replacing over 100+ capacitors.

Yeah, every PS/2 floppy I've had come through the shop in the last 5 years has needed capacitors, and aside from this one, all of them were returned to working order.

Update: dead drive may not be dead, I may have accidentally replaced three bipolar electrolytic caps with polarized ones, waiting on some parts to come in.