Image Map Image Map

Thread: Packard Bell Legend 125 (PB410) Battery Replacement

Default Packard Bell Legend 125 (PB410) Battery Replacement

I recently picked up one of these machines and the first thing I did was cut out the corroding battery. Luckily, it doesnít look like the board is too badly damaged, so I think it will be salvageable. Near the battery is a connector for an external battery (J2 which looks like itís 3 pins on a 4 pin header. Iíve seen some people hook up 2 x AA or 3 x AAA batteries with a diode in place to prevent the charging circuit from putting juice into the batteries.

What do you all recommend doing in this situation? Is the 4 pin header for external battery a standard?

Thanks

Blog Entries

If there's a connector for an external battery, it's for a primary battery, not a rechargeable one. No need for a diode. Ever since I've had 386+ boards with the connector, I've used 4xAA (about 6V) on them with no ill effects. As a matter of fact, the vendors of the cases usually included a 4xAA batter holder with the 4 position connector installed. Said holder usually had a patch of 3M double-stick foam tape on the back, so you could install the battery holder wherever you had a flat surface.

You could install one of these and wouldn't have to open the case to change the batteries every ten years.

http://www.cnc-shopping.co.uk/x4-fan...60-p-2290.html

Quote Originally Posted by FiveGHz View Post
    Luckily, it doesnít look like the board is too badly damaged, so I think it will be salvageable.
    Sometimes looks don't tell the entire story. You won't know that until you turn it on and see if it boots.
    PM me if you're looking for 3Ĺ" or 5ľ" floppy disks. EMail ď Ē For everything else, Take Another Step

Additional information at [here].

Thank you all for the information. Iím not able to find a manual online for the PB410 motherboard to get the required voltage for the external battery. Iíll start with 2 x AA and will go from there. The machine does sort of boot, but my usb to ps/2 keyboard adapter isnít working with the keyboard. Once the ps/2 keyboard arrives Iíll see how far it gets.

I cleaned up the battery leakage with vinegar and a toothbrush, then followed up with some IPA. U49 looked like it was in bad shape but cleaned up nicely with some work. I havenít touched U52 but looking at the close ups, it does have a bit of corrosion on some of the pins.

Before:

After:

Blog Entries

Looking at the datasheet for the DS12885, you'll be safe with 3xAA (there are a couple of diode drops involved).

I also have a Legend 125/PB410 that had a leaking barrel battery.

I have the external battery connector hooked up to 3 AA cells with a 1N4002 diode to block the charge current in case it was supplied. I ran the lines out the back of the box to a berg connector so I could swap the same battery pack between this machine and a 286.

It turns out some of the traces were broken to the chip at U49. I’m in the process of repairing them and replacing the chip with a hopefully compatible one. Definitely been a good learning experience of what not to do