Image Map Image Map

Thread: IBM 5160 plus extras

Default IBM 5160 plus extras

I've got a spare 5160, without a power supply, plus some extras that need a good home. As you can tell, this is my first post, and my attempt to save this little piece of history from simply being recycled.

Pictures of everything are here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...-p?usp=sharing

- 5160 case and motherboard. enclosure is labeled Personal Computer Expansion Board, (though I can't recall ever having the transmitter/receiver boards or cable.)
    - IBM 5.25" Disk Drive
    - 2 IBM 5.25" Floppy Disk Drive adapters
    - IBM CGA adapter
    - OMTI 5510 FD/HD controller
    - AST Six Pack Plus, full of RAM
    - QUBIE modem board (2400 baud, possibly?) I know I used it a lot in the 80s as a teenager on BBS'.
    - Central Point Copy II PC Option board (I think)
    - IBM Model M Keyboard (some keys don't work, though i suspect a good cleaning might help)
    - Northstar Omni Key/102 Keyboard (some keys don't work, though i suspect a good cleaning might help)

I don't know what works and what doesn't as the power supply was totally inoperative. (I do know that the other PC/XT that was sitting in storage in Arizona alongside this one for the past 30 years is working great! And that's the one I'm keeping for posterity.)

If you can come to Carver, Minnesota and pick it all up, its yours for the low price of $0. (Seriously, I just want someone to get some enjoyment from it rather than recycle it.)

Thanks.
    --Shaun

Blog Entries

Hi Shaun,

Would you consider shipping it (at my cost of course)?

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Hi lutiana,

Yes, I will consider shipping it. I'd like to wait a week or so for any takers locally first, as that's a lot less hassle than packing it all up safely and getting a price for shipping.

Do you visit Arizona, and that's how you got the XTs out of storage? Can you bring it back? Do you still have the power supply?

I don't get down to Arizona very often, and when I do, I fly. I still have the PSU, but its with my Dad in Arizona. When he gets around to it, he's going to look into troubleshooting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I don't get down to Arizona very often, and when I do, I fly. I still have the PSU, but its with my Dad in Arizona. When he gets around to it, he's going to look into troubleshooting it.
    Yeah, which is what I would do with it is try to get a complete working unit and fix the power supply.

So I guess it would have to be shipped, but w/o PSU it's not much worth shipping the whole case and motherboard. But I am interested in most everything else, including FPU, which seems to be in the picture. Can you ship?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Hi lutiana,

Yes, I will consider shipping it. I'd like to wait a week or so for any takers locally first, as that's a lot less hassle than packing it all up safely and getting a price for shipping.
    Completely understand. Let me know if you decide to ship and we can go from there.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

I just picked up a 5160 PSU. Loved my OmniKey back in the day. Great keyboard. Carver isn't too far for me. I've gone to the Renaissance Festival a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by the3dfxdude View Post
    So I guess it would have to be shipped, but w/o PSU it's not much worth shipping the whole case and motherboard.
    OT, after a fashion, but still relevant, I think.

A 5160 sans PSU is a good example of when "dimensional weight" (sometimes called "volumetric weight") comes into play. I've shipped PCs in the past, using a box that measures 26" x 20" x 13".

The dimensional weight of such a box is 26x20x13/139 = 49lb. This means that, when one ships such a box, the carriers will charge for shipping a 49lb package, regardless of the actual weight (unless it's higher than 49lb, of course - they always charge for whichever is the greater).

People who don't ship a lot of stuff often fail to realise this, estimate the cost of shipping based solely on the actual weight and get a shock when they are charged what can be considerably more.

Thus endeth the PSA.

Quote Originally Posted by roberttx View Post
    OT, after a fashion, but still relevant, I think.

A 5160 sans PSU is a good example of when "dimensional weight" (sometimes called "volumetric weight") comes into play. I've shipped PCs in the past, using a box that measures 26" x 20" x 13".

The dimensional weight of such a box is 26x20x13/139 = 49lb. This means that, when one ships such a box, the carriers will charge for shipping a 49lb package, regardless of the actual weight (unless it's higher than 49lb, of course - they always charge for whichever is the greater).

People who don't ship a lot of stuff often fail to realise this, estimate the cost of shipping based solely on the actual weight and get a shock when they are charged what can be considerably more.

Thus endeth the PSA.
    That explains so much, thanks for that!