Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help ordering repalcement Capacitor for 386SX MB

Quote Originally Posted by precaud View Post
    Those caps are Philips ceramics. The color denotes a temperature coefficient rating of the ceramic material. Most of the ones I've encountered (in analog electronics applications) are black, signifying NP0 (stabile capacitance vs temperature) charactieristic.
    Thanks for the information. That helps narrow things down specially since the one Chuck linked to turns out to be a stock photo. The seller said that his caps have no band.

These are definitely violet/purple bands. So what would be the down side of using a black band one such as this?
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Blog Entries

Hard to say, mostly because the cap (unless my eyes are lying to me is connected to pin 4 of the 74F08 (an input to an AND gate). The application might be as a low-pass filter on the line driving that gate, or it might be part of a timing setup. I say give it a try with whatever you can find. It probably won't matter. It certainly won't destroy anything if you're wrong.

No downside. Most ceramic caps used on motherboards are the cheapest, lowest grades available (Z5U, Y5V, X7R). There's really no point in upgrading them. If timing, temp coef, or close tolerance were critical, they'd use a different type of cap, probably a film type. So yeah, use whatever you can find.

Well,

I went ahead and ordered a some of the black stripe caps. If something blows up I will post a follow up .
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    Well,

I went ahead and ordered a some of the black stripe caps. If something blows up I will post a follow up .
    Well the capacitors arrived lot more quickly then expected from China. This was the condition of the original capacitor:

G2K386SXOLD.jpg

Obviously not working but the system POSTed and seemed stable enough. I couldn't find the exact replacement so I replaced it with a close one:

G2K386SXNEW.jpg

I am happy to report the system is still POSTing and no magic smoke has flown out!