Image Map Image Map

Thread: I/O Controllers not being recognized

Default I/O Controllers not being recognized

I am trying to set up the i/o controller in this computer and none of the jumper settings I try seem to do anything. I've tried several different cards and there are two things that happen depending on the card- either the computer won't start at all, no post and no memory test ticks, or the computer starts, tests memory, and says there is an FDD and HDD controller error. I really have no idea what's going on. Maybe there's some setting in the bios? none of the jumper settings I try make a difference. I currently only have the vga card and the controller hooked up. The cards I've tried are- DLU270- no post, Goldstar CA8392-F- FDD and HDD error, PM540 G- FDD and HDD error, and PTI-227B- no post

By the way, this is a 486 dlc on an m326 motherboard and the controller is 16 bit isa
    Last edited by RadRacer203; September 29th, 2019 at 05:45 AM.

Pick a card, the Goldstar, for example.

Disable all the ports, e.g., serial, parallel, game, HD and FD.

Plug it in and see what happens. Since it will have no active ports on it, if it still causes a boot issue it will not be due to any conflict(s) that are specific to ports. If there is still a problem it could be an issue that resides on the motherboard, itself.

BTW, don't you think it might be helpful to disclose what 'this computer', as you have so precisely described it, actually is?

BTW2, Have you tried any of these I/O cards elsewhere? If so, and you should have, what were the results?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Out of curiosity, have you tried a 386DX33 in this board?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Out of curiosity, have you tried a 386DX33 in this board?
    I haven't tried another cpu because I don't have another to try. The only card I've tested elsewhere was the Goldstar, and it gave a floppy error but the ide worked fine. I don't have anything easily accessible to test any of them at the moment

Have you tried cleaning the ISA slot and the card edge connector on the card? I've had misbehaving cards where either the slot or the card had oxidized contacts and caused weird issues.