Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schematic from a netlist?

Blog Entries

Default Schematic from a netlist?

I know I asked this years ago and there were no candidates, but I thought I'd ask it again.

Is there any program out there that can produce a schematic from a BOM and a netlist? I'm getting tired of mindlessly routing wires when I know way ahead of time where everything goes.

Hi Chuck
    Although, I'm sure it isn't what you are looking for, the ATPG tool I use at work takes a net list and draws a schematic on the screen that can be captured into a print. It hardly makes sense to buy a few hundred K product to do schematics from a net list.
    I'm sure there must be one out there.
    Dwight

KiKad might do this. I've never used it. But as a Fritzing user I've heard mumblings of users converting their projects to KiKad by exporting the netlist.

Blog Entries

You mean KiCAD? I use it, but have never seen anything about a netlist to schematic feature.

You'd think that it'd be a lot easier than, say, PCB routing.

I use kicad regularly and never seen such a feature...

Could be. I really don't know; never strayed from Fritzing. But the Fritzing support groups usually have someone doing such a thing. Maybe it's some other CAD. Maybe it just doesn't work.

You can go the other way. With a net list, you can go to a board layout, with KiCad. I've never seen it go to a schematic.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

That's the thing--I can write a netlist quite easily, but a schematic is what I look at when I want to know how something works. Heck, I've seen schematics are are little more than netlists--lots of tags and few wires. Doesn't give you a feeling for how things are organized. Maybe I'm from a different generation and I'm old-school.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    That's the thing--I can write a netlist quite easily, but a schematic is what I look at when I want to know how something works. Heck, I've seen schematics are are little more than netlists--lots of tags and few wires. Doesn't give you a feeling for how things are organized. Maybe I'm from a different generation and I'm old-school.
    I'm with you on this as well. I only use tags for power and busses.
    I was wondering, on KiCad, is there a way to stop KiCad from using individual parts of an IC in the schematic generation, without making an entirely new part? I like to layout the positions of such parts based on wire routing. It is frustrating when I'm trying to use minimal routing. The same goes for their device libraries like EPROMs. I want to see which side of the package the wires come out, not some idealized part with inputs on the left and outputs on the right.
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    I'm with you on this as well. I only use tags for power and busses.
    I was wondering, on KiCad, is there a way to stop KiCad from using individual parts of an IC in the schematic generation, without making an entirely new part? I like to layout the positions of such parts based on wire routing. It is frustrating when I'm trying to use minimal routing. The same goes for their device libraries like EPROMs. I want to see which side of the package the wires come out, not some idealized part with inputs on the left and outputs on the right.
    Dwight
    only way around that is to make/import different symbol libraries