Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power switch issue with my 386

Blog Entries

Okay, so grab your DMM and set it to continuity. See which lugs are connected with the switch "on" and then make sure that they're not connected with the switch "off". That will pair them off. Connect wires of the same color to the appropriately paired lugs. Black wires normally indicate the "hot" side of the line and white, the neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by itsvince725 View Post
    I have the wires that were originally soldered to the lugs of the switch so I was just going to reuse them and add connectors to them. The only problem is, I don't remember which lugs had black wires and which ones had white. I have two black and two white wires.
    You need to take pictures of this stuff, wiring one of those switches incorrectly can lead to stuff blowing up because it's switching mains.

If the switch has a neon lamp inside it, one pair of contacts is probably for the lamp, while the other is to complete the mains circuit for the power supply to turn on.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Duh! Don't you believe in taking notes or at least pics?
    doesn't really matter it's an isolated DPST switch, just put both blacks on one side and both whites on the other

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Okay, so grab your DMM and set it to continuity. See which lugs are connected with the switch "on" and then make sure that they're not connected with the switch "off". That will pair them off. Connect wires of the same color to the appropriately paired lugs. Black wires normally indicate the "hot" side of the line and white, the neutral.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    You need to take pictures of this stuff, wiring one of those switches incorrectly can lead to stuff blowing up because it's switching mains.

If the switch has a neon lamp inside it, one pair of contacts is probably for the lamp, while the other is to complete the mains circuit for the power supply to turn on.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    doesn't really matter it's an isolated DPST switch, just put both blacks on one side and both whites on the other
    So, which is it?

Both can't be correct.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

The problem is that you've got 4 terminals and it's not clear how they're paired. My method identifies the pairing.

Yeah just buzz it out, takes a second and you can be sure