Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ReactOS status

Blog Entries

Default ReactOS status

I note that the ReactOS has just release 0.4.12. The last post here was about 10 years ago, IIRC.

Anyone using it?

Blog Entries

I tried it a long time ago, but it was buggy as hell on my hardware and I never got it working right. I may try out this new version when I get a chance.

It's a promising project IMO and could be very popular if they get it right.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

ReactOS is in a perpetual "Alpha" state. Constantly changing, bits alway up on blocks while devs work on it, so not really stable for any specific use. A better question is: anyone kicking it around?

From the sound of things, they have made some major improvements recently, so it might be interesting to see how far one can get with it now.

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    I tried it a long time ago, but it was buggy as hell on my hardware and I never got it working right.
    I had similar issues, ReactOS wouldn't run right on any hardware I had at the time. I could get the OS up and to the desktop, but that was about it. Getting any Windows applications to even attempt to run required dependency hell of downloading a bunch of .NET frameworks, C++ runtimes, etc.

It was really only compatible with a narrow range of hardware from like 2005-2010, outside that you ran into driver issues.

It doesn't work well even for the very basics yet. I have been giving it a try every once in a while, but no major progress has been done (for what the user ends up experiencing)

I tried playing with it a few years ago, but the impression I rapidly got from it was if you wanted to install any software you for all practical purposes had to have a real Windows machine sitting next to it so you could painstakingly transfer libraries, registry bits, you name it, over... and I am not a Windows person so I called "Uncle!" very quickly. (I was trying it in a VM so I can't comment about hardware support.) I don't know if ReactOS is more compatible than WINE on Linux in many ways that matter, but WINE *did* have enough well-developed tools to help you with the mickey-mouse pieces of getting it up that ReactOS lacked, so it still seemed to me like the better-baked solution. By a country mile or two.

But this was a few years ago, so maybe they've made a breakthrough. The only reason I'm skeptical is the reason I tried it *last* time was I'd heard tell that they'd made amazing strides and, well... maybe that said more about where they'd been before than where they actually were.

Blog Entries

Find the supported list of software and run those in a virtual machine. The development pattern is rather scattershot. Someone would be adding the few necessary functions from Windows 7 to run their favorite program but large swathes of the older Win32 APIs remain unavailable.

Blog Entries

Okay, I'll check back in another 10 years...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Okay, I'll check back in another 10 years...
    Nah, just try it now in a VM. I'll bet that runs as expected. At least you'll know if it's worth checking back in later or not.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

just run Windows NT4 with SP6 and you be fine.... ReactOS is nice enough but feels like cripple ware compared to NT4 installed.
    Work : CORE2 QUAD Q9400, ASUS P5QL/EPU, 8GB DDR2-800, NVIDIA GT 720, 1TB HDD, ASUS PCE-N53 WIFI.
    Retro : Pentium II​I 1GHZ, BCM QS440B​XP, 1GB​ KIT PC-100, ATI RAGE 1​28 PRO GL ​32MB, ​80GB HDD, Netgear GA311 WIFI.
    Vintage: TRS-80 MODEL 4, 128K RAM, 1x 5.25" 360K, 1x GOTEK, 1xFreHD, GURU RS232-WIFI MODEM.