Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there an online power calculator for Pentium 3 systems or older?

Blog Entries

Default Is there an online power calculator for Pentium 3 systems or older?

I am putting together an old server with dual P3 1.266 Ghz CPUs and want to know how much of a PS I will need (should be heavy on the 5V line I assume since I am just using the built in ATI Rage video).

All the online calculators I see are for P4 systems and newer.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Used to be power calculators for the older servers. But since no Pentium III needed more than 35 watts, a more modern calculator should have no problem since it will default to CPUs needing more power than the Pentium III.

except that modern calculators will apply the CPU's draw to the +12V rail and P3s draw from +5V

I'd shoot for a PSU with at least 20A on +5V

Blog Entries

I have an old 250W heavy on the 5V side I could try. Didn't the dual Tualatin P3 boards use the 12v side for the second CPU?

Blog Entries

I've got a Supermicro dual (slot 1) P3 (SL4BS) board. It uses the regular +3.3V rail; there's another 3.3V connector for "heavy load accessories" as described in the manual. I don't use it. Thing works just fine on a 300W power supply. No +12 derived CPU supply.

Coppermine, not Tuallie, but should be pretty close.

Blog Entries

Well the old 250W supply turned on and the fans are spinning so will hook up a monitor to it tomorrow and see if it boots.

I have a Super Micro P3TDDE with dual PIII-S 1400s and a 350W PSU wasn't cutting it for that machine, under heavy load the hard drive would shut off and cause the system to BSOD.

It got replaced with some 460W unit years ago and has been running fine since.

Blog Entries

Ah, my setup uses an SSD and pretty much runs a light Linux load, Win9x and XP. I've never experienced a power outage and I don't know what the various PSU rails are rated at. 2GB of server memory. I don't recall what video card I'm using, but it's nothing special. It exists mostly for legacy device support; when I need compute power, I use later hardware. 440GX chipset.

So, YMMV.

Blog Entries

I think it depends on the way power is distributed. The 350W supply has 25A on the 5V side while newer ones with higher power tend to have 15-20A on the 5V side and much more on the 12V.

I kept a bunch of old crappy supplies just because they have more power on the 5V side then anything newer.

If I had a gamer video card on this system the PS would not be enough but the built in Rage should consume little power.

I've got a couple of power supplies that have the following outputs:

+5V 50A, +18V 3.8A, -18V 3.8A, or
    +5V 40A, +18V 5.2A, -18V 5.2A
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step