Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Imsai 8080 cannot examine to RAM adress...

It looks like I am going to be picking up 2 beautiful IMSAI's in the next two weeks. The one you have been looking at for $1250 and this one, for $950.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G5...SCiib6z9jDpCeB

So, I will probably be back on here, giving you updates on both machines soon....

It looks like a nice collection of boards. I see a terminator boards as well. The $950 one has the older power supply but it looks to have the upgraded power supply.
    Dwight

The gentleman that owns the $950 IMSAI does not remember why he was upgrading the power supply, but if I were to guess, he may have been adding a separate power source for his external floppy drive units.

Hey Dwight,

I was wondering if you would be able to take a look at least one of the IMSAI's that we have been talking about here. I would like to find someone who has the experience and can do this kind of rework.
    From what the owner has told me, there may be very little to do, on this first machine. I believe he did mention that there may be two LEDs that are not working on the Front Panel.

I am also worried about how well the system will be packed and shipped. As UPS will not know how to pack this as carefully as it needs to be packed and shipped to get to me here in FLA.
    I would of course pay you for your time and any and all expenses.

I would do this myself, but I do not have the experience or the steady hands needed to do the rework that may be necessary.

If you do have any time, for a project like this, or if you know someone else, who would be able to do this kind of work, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

Hey Dwight,

I have not heard back from you. I could use your help here.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Novell2NT View Post
    Hey Dwight,

I have not heard back from you. I could use your help here.

Thank you
    I sent you a PM. Anyway, I do online help for a hobby. Here, it also helps others as well, not just you. Besides I don't think you'd be happy with my minimum and hourly rate.
    I'm more than glad to help online. It is possible to trouble shoot these with a meter and some jumper wires ( 28 or 30 ga. ), as long as the front panel is socketed.
    Dwight

No problem, the guy will be shipping it out tomorrow, and I think he is too far north of you anyway. I think he is up in Grass Valley, which is above Sacramento. I will let you know,
    how it looks once it gets here.

I found a nice TTY device that you might like, but it is in Denver.

2019-12-12_19-22-46.jpg

Come back once you have the system and we can take a look at things. The trickiest part is taking the front panel apart without loosing the spacers. It looks cool but it was not designed for quick assembly. Also, for safety reasons, many move the function of the power switch to the back. Make sure to cover the AC leads so a slip doesn't take a divot out of the front metal or even out of you.
    Dwight

I hate those standoffs. Like the ones inside the floppy drive units. Is there a trick, to get them all lined up and installed correctly?

hot glue.
    Make sure it has dried before sticking the screws in or you may never get them out again. You can get accelerator from hobby shops but that stuff stains. I usually breathe my breath on it and let it sit for a couple hours. The moisture in your breath will speed the setting.
    Dwight