Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBSing on Vintage Hardware

Default BBSing on Vintage Hardware

Love the IRC on vintage hardware thread, so I thought I'd start a thread regarding the use of vintage systems to dial or otherwise connect to (telnet, etc.) bulletin board systems.

The main thing I use my various vintage systems for nowadays is BBSing. Thanks to the WiFi232, it's been quite easy to do. I mainly use my Apple IIe and Amiga 1000 for BBSing, though I also use the Tandy 1000HX system I put together recently, from time to time.

Here's my IIe in action online, at telnet BBS Gold Mine GS (hmm, haven't checked in there for a while). It's using ProTerm Special emulation, specific to the terminal program ProTerm, utilizing the extended "MouseText" character set that's part of the 128K enhanced IIe, the //c, and the IIgs.

bp

Logged into Particles BBS on the Atari 520ST using the terminal program Taz, which uses a clever trick to get 16 colors in the ST's 4-color 640x200 Medium Res mode. The ST has a WiFi232 on its serial port.

bp
    :: Byte Cellar - the vintage computing weblog
    :: http://www.bytecellar.com

Quote Originally Posted by blakespot View Post
    I also use the Tandy 1000HX system I put together recently, from time to time.
    In a recent video I did showing off my prototype Tandy Plus Bus expansion cards I included a brief roundup of telnet BBS splash screens that I reached using a PPP packet driver and mTCP's telnet program through a null modem cable. The telnet program seems to work amazingly well, despite the fact that otherwise EPPPD seems to not really be *quite* adequately performant on such slow hardware. But just using a terminal program instead of PPP to a host computer or something like the WiFi232 is almost certainly a better option if you don't have an Ethernet card.

I love to BBS on vintage machines. I also love the WarGames sticker on your window.

Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    In a recent video I did showing off my prototype Tandy Plus Bus expansion cards I included a brief roundup of telnet BBS splash screens that I reached using a PPP packet driver and mTCP's telnet program through a null modem cable. The telnet program seems to work amazingly well, despite the fact that otherwise EPPPD seems to not really be *quite* adequately performant on such slow hardware. But just using a terminal program instead of PPP to a host computer or something like the WiFi232 is almost certainly a better option if you don't have an Ethernet card.
    Very nice -- prototype PLUS cards. I'd love to see -- can you share the video link? Thanks.

I ended up with the 640K RAM expansion from Tandy (which I had to purchase a whole EX setup to acquire for my HX, and not cheaply...) and then two PLUS to ISA adapters. I've got a dual 16550 UART serial card and a lotech IDE interface w/ CF card in there. Upgraded the CPU to V20, as well. I'll post as photo of the EX BBSing next.

bp

BBSing on the Tandy 1000HX equipped with NEC V20, 640K, dual-16550 UART serial card, lo-tek XT-IDE controller and CF drive. WiFi232 on the serial line.

Got the core of this system locally last December, expanded it over the next 3-4 months.

bp

Sure do it all the time, on my trs-80 model 4 with a GURU Modem (Rs232C-WIFI)

S
    Work : CORE2 QUAD Q9400, ASUS P5QL/EPU, 8GB DDR2-800, NVIDIA GT 720, 1TB HDD, ASUS PCE-N53 WIFI.
    Retro : Pentium II​I 1GHZ, BCM QS440B​XP, 1GB​ KIT PC-100, ATI RAGE 1​28 PRO GL ​32MB, ​80GB HDD, Netgear GA311 WIFI.
    Vintage: TRS-80 MODEL 4, 128K RAM, 1x 5.25" 360K, 1x GOTEK, 1xFreHD, GURU RS232-WIFI MODEM.

Great to see folks still running BBSes, and other folks actually still using them!

Quote Originally Posted by blakespot View Post
    Love the IRC on vintage hardware thread, so I thought I'd start a thread regarding the use of vintage systems to dial or otherwise connect to (telnet, etc.) bulletin board systems.

The main thing I use my various vintage systems for nowadays is BBSing. Thanks to the WiFi232, it's been quite easy to do. I mainly use my Apple IIe and Amiga 1000 for BBSing, though I also use the Tandy 1000HX system I put together recently, from time to time.

Here's my IIe in action online, at telnet BBS Gold Mine GS (hmm, haven't checked in there for a while). It's using ProTerm Special emulation, specific to the terminal program ProTerm, utilizing the extended "MouseText" character set that's part of the 128K enhanced IIe, the //c, and the IIgs.

bp
    I spy a framed Robo City on the wall. Where in the world did that come from? Was that released in a print like that at some point or did you make it?

Quote Originally Posted by liqmat View Post
    I spy a framed Robo City on the wall. Where in the world did that come from? Was that released in a print like that at some point or did you make it?
    It's a rare one -- I've never seen another. I found it on eBay long ago.

Here's a better shot of it, and if you page through the related photos in that gallery there are some other unusual / rare posters that I prize. Cheers.

bp